Author Topic: Is anyone researching the Langs of Renfrewshire?  (Read 8511 times)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone researching the Langs of Renfrewshire?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 February 16 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi nkbauer

Nan,

I am researching LANG, but of Lanarkshire / Dunbartonshire.  You have probably noticed on Ancestry that some researchers have our families intertwined.  I don't believe this is correct!  But, who knows.

I am at a total loss with mine, a very high brick wall indeed.  The most that I can confirm at that Agnes LANG born abt 1815 - 1817 in Lanarkshire.

Agnes married James ROBERTS, although I cant find a marriage under LANG or ROBERTS.

1851 census states born - Monkland Lanark
1861 census states born - Caddar Lanark
1871 census states born - Cadder Lanark
1881 census states born - Chryston Lanark.

At her death in 1886 at Twechar Dunbartonshire, her parents were stated as James LANG and Agnes SINCLAIR.  I am unable to find them on ANY census.  I also cant find their deaths.

Ring any bells?!  If you come across anything let me know.

Regards, Steven
Melbourne, Australia.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 February 16 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi  again lyoung03,

Scottish Death Certs are amazing.
Civil Reg started 1855

Check out Scotlandspeople for her Cert which should contain all the info you require on Elizabeth .
And compared to other Countries are very inexpensive.

Quote from Scotlandspeople'
1855 death records show the date, time and place of death, deceased's name, sex, marital status, age and occupation, cause of death, duration of last illness, doctor's name and details of the informant. In addition, they show the usual residence, the deceased's place of birth, spouse's name, PARENTS' names****, occupations and whether they were deceased, names and ages of children or age and year of death if the child pre-deceased the parent. Up to 1860, the place of burial, the name of the undertaker and when the doctor last saw the deceased alive, were also included. As with births and marriages, this amount of detail had proved difficult to maintain. The deceased's birthplace was removed from 1856, as were the names of any children. The spouses name was also not required from 1856, but was reinstated in 1861.

The 1818 Parish Marriage Entry will not contain any info on her Parents.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 February 16 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steven from Melbbourne,
It was interesting to hear from you. I did a quick check on my Langs to see if we were connected. My only "James" who could have been the father of Agnes timewise never married, however I still have many gaps on secondary branches of my tree. The only Agnes I have in that time period was the daughter of a John Lang and Margaret Paterson. She like many of my Langs was born in Renfrewshire. (10 Jul 1815) There is a possibility that we are connected  but I haven't found it yet unfortunately.
If you do find a connection, please let me know and I'll do the same.
Regards, Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Will do Nan...
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland

Offline scotland11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 February 16 00:26 GMT (UK) »
hello Stephen from Melbourne

We have in our records that James Roberts, son of William Roberts and Margaret Greenhorn, was born in 1823 in Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland, and he died on 19th of June 1891, 7hr 30m am, in Braes of Yetts, Dumbartonshire, Scotland. He married Agnes Lang in 1840.

Agnes Lang was born in 1817 in Cadder, Lanarkshire, Scotland. She died on 11 March 1866 in Noon, Barhill Rows, Twedras, Kirkintillock, Dumbartonshire, Scotland but we have no further details about her parents.

Agnes Lang and James Roberts had nine children. Sinclair appears to be indicative of an area in Scotland which was used to preserve family connection and heritage, rather than a surname, as we had a similar problem researching a descendant, Muriel Irene Sinclair Gibson, daughter of John James Gibson and Euphemia Gartshore Roberts (descendants of James Roberts.) Muriel Irene Sinclair Gibson was born 1905 in Beulah, Victoria.

We have relatives in Victoria who are descended from the Gibson, Lang and Roberts families, who have conducted research into the ancestry, so if you are interested in finding out more information please contact me for further contact details / email address.

Offline scotland11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 February 16 11:47 GMT (UK) »

Hi Stephen

We have only recently discovered that Gibson is my grandfather's mother's surname, (Muriel Irene was my great grandmother), so all this information is rather new to us.

Sorry if the information was already known to you - if we happen to discover anything about Agnes Lang, or any of the other family members, please share here.

I have the contact details of one of the Gibson descendants who has done a lot of research so perhaps she might turn something of interest up in her search?

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 February 16 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi scotland11

I had already sent you a private message.

bitzar.  :)

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 June 16 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Leslie,

You can find this information via the Scotland's People website. If you go to the local area, you can make an appointment with the registrar who will access the same information. If you are going to be in Glasgow, book a day at the genealogy centre at the Mitchell library where you can acess lots of records on births, marriages, deaths, census and wills - again via Scotland's People.

:)
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus
Gibb: St Vigeans
Bell: Forfarshire

Offline isbean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 June 17 00:08 BST (UK) »
Yes. My great great grandmother, Jane or Janet Lang was born in Pollokshaws in 1815. I have found only one birth record but don't trust that it is correct. Can't find other family members. Anyone else have births in Pollokshaws?