Author Topic: Scullys and Colgans in Clane  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Nick Vogel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scullys and Colgans in Clane
« on: Thursday 20 August 15 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. I've posted a few times before and this forum has been super helpful in my genealogy work, especially for my mother's family from Ireland which I was having a very hard time with on Ancestry.com

I was wondering if anyone could help me in finding information on the surnames Scully and Colgan in County Kildare, specifically in the town of Clane. My grandmother, Rachael Scully (1924-present) was born in Dublin, and so was her father William Scully, but it seems her grandfather John Scully was from County Kildare. Here is some information I've managed to find thanks to this forum, in the form of baptism records:

Margaret Scully, living at Mountpleasant, Clane, County Kildare, baptized November 22, 1847 in a Roman Catholic church, daughter of John Scully and Anne Colgan.

James Scully, address Betaghstown, Clane, County Kildare, June 9, 1850, RC, parents John Scully and Anne Colgan.

Several other children all with John Scully and Anne Colgan as parents that I'll shorten the records a bit:

Anne Scully, lives Cockbridge, bapt. April 25 1852,
Thomas Scully, Woodville, bapt.  May 7 1854
William Scully, Healeysbridge bapt. January 18 1857
Mary Scully, address just says Clane, bapt. Sept 2. 1860.

The person who sent me this info said they couldn't find a marriage certificate for John Scully and Anne Colgan, so maybe they were from some other town, but this person was looking online so maybe the website just hadn't uploaded it.

A few days ago I googled "Scully Kildare Colgan genealogy" and found a link on Geni.com to a woman named Mary Scully born 1891 in Clane, Kildare who married a Denis Colgan, but no more information than that, so maybe these Scullys and Colgans are the same as mine and the families were socially close with each other?

Here's the link on Geni if it helps in any way.

http://www.geni.com/people/Mary-Colgan/6000000024642167281

So if anyone has information regarding Scully and or Colgan families living in Kildare, specifically Clane, around the 1800's, I would really appreciate help.

Best wishes-

Nick

Offline cyril walsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Scullys and Colgans in Clane
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 15 17:50 BST (UK) »
http://archive.irishnewsarchive.com/olive/apa/KCL.Edu/#panel=search&search=0

wonder will you find anything here.

best of luck.
cyril
MAYO walsh, groonell, connolly, hennelly, reany,
KILDARE jacob, callan, byrne, herbert, duggan, mcgrath, danagher, farrell, mc evoy, ward, o brien.
WESTMEATH nolan, deegan, duggan berry, tiernan, mccormack,duffy,murray.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline patc2000

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Scullys and Colgans in Clane
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 March 17 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Nick,
The Church records of Caragh (near Clane) might help. They lived in Loughanure (Clane).
 Sometimes the name could change to Colligan.
I am a direct descendant of a the two people you mention in your post
Regards
Pat