Author Topic: Edwards family of Highley  (Read 1277 times)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
Edwards family of Highley
« on: Thursday 20 August 15 09:23 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Thomas Edwards was christened in Highley in 1788 and buried in 1860. His wife Susanna was buried in 1838, age 40. I haven't been able to find their marriage. Their daughter Maria was christened in 1813 in Highley, but their abode is Netherton.

Does anyone have any connections to the Edwards family? I am descended from their daughter Mary, who married Samuel Brick.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline madeira066

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edwards family of Highley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 August 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi clairec666.
Have you considered the marriage on the 23rd November 1812 at Neen Savage Shropshire for a Thomas Edwards to a Susannah Mantle. This appears to be the only marriage with the correct names at that time in Shropshire.
Regards Dave.

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 August 15 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dave. Yes I saw that marriage before, but haven't really looked in great detail. I've got the image from findmypast, and it says bride and groom are both from Nonington - I can't find anywhere called Nonington in Shropshire, though I may have misread it! Witnesses are Ann Cartwright, Richd Edwards and Philip Mantle.

Susannah could possibly be Susan Mantle, parents Philip and Letitia, christened 27/4/1788, Kinlet. This would be about the right age compared to the burial I've found in Highley, and Kinlet is quite close to both Neen Savage and Highley. Also the marriage witness Philip Mantle could be her father, or a brother.

It's a shame Susannah died fairly young so I can't see her birthplace on the census....
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 August 15 10:46 BST (UK) »
The transcription of neen savage on Medloki has Thomas Edwards to susannah mantle by John Hayton curate of kinlet.
Other marriages in the same year from the same transcription mention if either party is from a different parish.

Mike