Author Topic: Convicted in Scotland and transported to Australia  (Read 6890 times)

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Convicted in Scotland and transported to Australia
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 20:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that, I've attached the correct link now:

https://thescottishaustralian.wordpress.com/2015/08/25/radicals-martyrs-and-scottish-convicts-in-colonial-australia/

Whilst it is true to say that Scots Law is fundamentally different I'm not sure that his argument holds true.

For example he states
Overall, about 8200 of the convicts in Australia’s eastern colonies, and between 570 and 700 in Western Australia, were born in Scotland, which recorded about a quarter of England’s transportation rate.

To say that Scotland transported only a quarter of those that England did does not give a complete picture.

Given the disparity in the populations of the two countries one would expect that Scotland transported a similar proportion i.e approx 1/10 rather than the much higher 1/4 - from these figures, statistically it could be argued that Scotland transported a much higher proportion of its criminal populace.

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 16:01 BST (UK) »
I've re-read the link and don't really understand how you've come to that conclusion.

I'd point out though that the population discrepancy between Scotland and England has varied throughout history. In 1811 Scotland's population was about 1/5 that of England. Today it is about 1/10.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 17:59 BST (UK) »
I've re-read the link and don't really understand how you've come to that conclusion.

I'd point out though that the population discrepancy between Scotland and England has varied throughout history. In 1811 Scotland's population was about 1/5 that of England. Today it is about 1/10.

The author appears to have assumed that as Scotland sent only a quarter of the number of transportees that England did that Scots Law was fundamentally different.

While the latter is certainly true, given the disparity in the population figures of the two countries it should be expected that Scotland would send significantly fewer transportees. 

In 1811 the population figures show Scotland had a population of 1,805,864 while the combined figure for England and Wales was 10,164,256. (approx 1/ 6)

Accepting that, for debate, the respective populations each had a similar criminal element then you would expect a similar proportion to be transported ie approx 1/6 not the 1/4 that the author uses - but if you use the  1 /4  and then look at the population figures you have to consider that if that is correct then proportionally Scots Courts sent more for Transportation.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

If you look at the NSW penal colony, and then at the native place, then you need to look at the period 1787 to 1840, and until 1825 that included Van Diemen's Land.  You may need to find the Australian archival records to confirm those native places to check the percentages of Scottish born convicts transported 'beyond the seas'.

If you look at the Administrative structure of the penal colonies of NSW and VDL, then you need to know that UNTIL the appointment of a SCOTTISH governor, that all convict ships went firstly to NSW.  The Scottish governor was the first of the Military governors, and he organised for some transports to go directly to VDL.  Earlier governors were Navy men, for example the last Navy man to reign over the NSW Penal colony was William Bligh (he of the Mutiny of the Bounty fame).   Bligh was ousted by a coup d'etat (the Garrison forces rose up and deposed him). 

Lachlan Macquarie replaced the regime that ousted Bligh.  Macquarie's reign resulted in an effective administration being established, so that under Macquarie  there were general orders re BDM records, regulations re building structures, fence lines, slops, clothing, co-habitation and inheritance issues, revised approach to marriage ('bigamy' v effective termination of a marriage 7 year rule matters v separation by .... beyond the seas) and commencement of democracy with separation of judiciary from dictatorship by governor .... etc etc etc. 

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/macquarie-lachlan-2419
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/digital-gallery/lachlan-macquarie-visionary-and-builder
http://www.mq.edu.au/macquarie-archive/

As my own family history records have been preserved by earlier generations, I can assure you that those family members who were of Scottish origins were quite insisting that "Scotch" heritage is distinct from English.   I also have Welsh and Cornish and Irish ancestors arriving in NSW in the Macquarie era, and they too were as concerned for their new life to acknowledge that they were NOT English .....    It is not until the decade after transportation ceased that any "English" ancestors of mine arrive in NSW....   

Family history is an interesting journey, and I have been involved in mine since the late 1950s .... and I hope to continue for quite a number of years yet. 

Cheers, and many thanks for that wonderful article.  Food for Thought....

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 23:33 BST (UK) »
According to my research, transportation was always less popular in Scotland. By 1823 my information is that the percentage transported to the Colonies from Scotland was less than 4% of the total, although statistically you would expect it to be over 15%. Under Scots law an accused could petition for banishment and this was often granted, especially if the complainers concurred.

Tom Devine's Scotland's Empire 1600-1815 has (see pages 105-106) 700 as the total number transported in the period when England and Wales transported 35,000 - 2%, which I suspect is a little too low, although I do have it recorded that no-one convicted in Scotland was sentenced to transportation between 1795 and 1799. In fact, evidence shows that the prosecution of crime other than at the most serious level was a fairly low priority outside the major population centres in the era when local burgesses paid for the running of local prisons.

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 August 15 09:42 BST (UK) »

The author appears to have assumed that as Scotland sent only a quarter of the number of transportees that England did that Scots Law was fundamentally different.

While the latter is certainly true, given the disparity in the population figures of the two countries it should be expected that Scotland would send significantly fewer transportees. 

In 1811 the population figures show Scotland had a population of 1,805,864 while the combined figure for England and Wales was 10,164,256. (approx 1/ 6)

Accepting that, for debate, the respective populations each had a similar criminal element then you would expect a similar proportion to be transported ie approx 1/6 not the 1/4 that the author uses - but if you use the  1 /4  and then look at the population figures you have to consider that if that is correct then proportionally Scots Courts sent more for Transportation.

Ah yes, I understand your line of thinking now. Without knowing the author's source though it is difficult to comment further.

In the work that I've ever done on the subject, unscientific as it is, coming across Scottish convicts is pretty unusual. I honestly would be very surprised if Scotland did in fact send more convicts as a proportion of it's population when compared with England and Wales.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 August 15 12:58 BST (UK) »
In the work that I've ever done on the subject, unscientific as it is, coming across Scottish convicts is pretty unusual. I honestly would be very surprised if Scotland did in fact send more convicts as a proportion of it's population when compared with England and Wales.

So would I  ;D .... as djct59 has posted, Banishment was an option used by the Scottish Courts whether it was from Burgh level through to National Level and it wasn't until the time of Sir William Rae that transportaion replaced Banishment and even that was replaced in 1857 by Penal Servitude. Minor offenders in Scotland tended to be dealt with summarily either through monetary fines or corporal punishment although repeat offenders could find themselves dealt with quite ruthlessly (by todays standards).

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 August 15 13:18 BST (UK) »

Hi there, tbelow is a good link to Scottish Convicts to Australia
http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/scotsandaustralia/convicts/scottishconvicts.asp

cheers
Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay