Author Topic: Unusual photograph  (Read 4430 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual photograph
« Reply #27 on: Monday 24 August 15 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan...A clean from me as promised...I agree with Jim and don't see a ring I think it's a mark on the photo.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 24 August 15 11:30 BST (UK) »
A lighter version for you with a warmer tone.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 24 August 15 11:37 BST (UK) »
Her father was a labourer. Working people did not wear such clothes and did not have such photographs taken of them yet, give it another 20 years. Perhaps she made a good marriage. May we know the name of the man she married?   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 24 August 15 14:38 BST (UK) »
Carol,

Thank you so much. The two pictures are wonderful. You can see much more of her face.

Her father was Thomas Landon but he died in 1835, the same year that Elizabeth was born. He was indeed a labourer. Her mother remarried Thomas James in 1840. Thomas was a fisherman by trade. He had a large family from a previous marriage so I doubt that there was much money in the family.

Elizabeth married Enoch Barnett in 1865, Enoch was 10 years younger than her and was a carpenter by trade. They lived in Staunton, Coleford, Gloucester.

We will probably never know when and why this photograph was taken. She does look younger than thirty and all of the evidence would suggest that it was taken in the 1850's. At first we did wonder if she had married before but we can find no record of this and she did say that she was a spinster in her wedding to Enoch.

Carol, thank you again for bringing this old picture back to life.

Alan

Bookless,Varty, Collins, Birchall, Nicholson, Corlett, Barnett

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 24 August 15 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan...You are very welcome...what a lovely thing to have...I wonder if it could be a 21st Birthday?
Thanks for the background information...I often wonder about the life and personality of the sitter when I restore a photo.

Carol

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
Two late goes.

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 12:00 BST (UK) »
They are lovely. Thank you.

Alan
Bookless,Varty, Collins, Birchall, Nicholson, Corlett, Barnett