Author Topic: James GALLOWAY and Mary Izat BROWN  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Jeninnz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James GALLOWAY and Mary Izat BROWN
« on: Friday 21 August 15 02:42 BST (UK) »
Looking for a marriage date for James Gallloway b. 1824, son of Robert and Margaret Galloway nee Richardson and Mary Izat BROWN born about 1830.  I haven't had any luck in finding this date and am hoping someone else can.  They were from the Newbattle area.
Also their son:
William Brown Galloway who married Isabella Craig Galloway....... A marriage date for them too.  The surnames are correct, a Galloway married a Galloway.

Many thanks.
Researching, Titcombe, Davies, Galloway, Craig, Shailer, Richardson, Lee, Rand, Hazell. All roots mainly from England, Scotland, New Zealand.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James GALLOWAY and Mary Izat BROWN
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 August 15 05:42 BST (UK) »
From the free search of Scotlands People the site has a marriage of a William Brown Galloway to an Isabella Craig Galloway in 1884 in Midlothian.  You would need to register and  pay to view the certificate http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

The site also has a marriage in 1851 in Newbattle, Midlothian of a James Galloway pre civil registration in 1855

Kay

Offline Jeninnz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 August 15 06:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that.  The 1884 date makes sense as their first child was born that year.. The second one I'm not 100% sure of.  Was there another James Galloway marriage in 1857 or 58. From what I have found is their first child was born 1857, although on the 1851 census there is a James and Mary Galloway, no children.  Just a bit confusing. I'm just trying to ties up a few loose ends on this line.
Many Thanks
Jenny
Researching, Titcombe, Davies, Galloway, Craig, Shailer, Richardson, Lee, Rand, Hazell. All roots mainly from England, Scotland, New Zealand.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 August 15 06:44 BST (UK) »
Using the free search on the site for marriages between 1855 and 1861 in Midlothian there is one marriage of a James Galloway but not to a Mary.  They may have had children pre 1857 who died

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 August 15 06:56 BST (UK) »
There were 3 deaths in Newbattle of Galloway children with mother's maiden name Brown between 1855- 1861 all in 1856

1856   Agnes age 2
1856   Margaret age 7
1856   Robert age 0

Also checked the 1851 marriage - it was on 25 Jan 1851    at Newbattle to Mary Brown

Offline Jeninnz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 August 15 08:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for you help Kay.  I really appreciate it.   I found  Robert Galloway in 1855, Jane Galloway in 1857, also James in 1859, William Brown Galloway in 1861, and George in 1867.

James was in the 1861 census, James, William and George were in the 1871 census along with James and Mary their parents.
I will keep looking in case there are more between 1851 and 1855😄

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 August 15 08:35 BST (UK) »
Robert's 1855 birth certificate will give details of the number of children born to Mary up to that point.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 August 15 08:56 BST (UK) »
Margaret who died in 1856 was the child of John Galloway and Agnes Brown - and died of Scarletina

Offline Jeninnz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 August 15 09:07 BST (UK) »
Margaret who died in 1856 was the child of John Galloway and Agnes Brown - and died of Scarletina

Ok.....that rules her out 😄