Author Topic: Elizabeth Lee  (Read 5068 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Lee
« on: Friday 21 August 15 09:29 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the marriage of Elizabeth Lee who may have lived in Upwell, born abt 1816.

I am researching Peter Huddleston who owned Little Haugh Manor, Norton, Suffolk. He was a JP and he lived for part of his early life in Upwell. His father George Croft changed his name to Huddleston when he inherited his godfather's estate in 1819. I have come across a tree which says Peter married Elizabeth Lee sister of Anne Lee but can't find his marriage either under Huddleston or Croft. They had children named Thomas Jervoise Huddleston and Edward Purefoy Huddleston.

Any info about this family of Lees would be most helpful.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Lee
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 August 15 09:52 BST (UK) »
I've found an entry from UK County families for Mrs Huddleston of Norton, Suffolk.  it's not dated, but from other entries it's from 1898 or later

Elizabeth, d of the late William Lee of Upwell, Norfolk, m1835 Peter Huddleston Esq, a magistrate for Suffolk, who died 1875...(references then to Thomas Jervoise)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 August 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
which has led me to  The Bury & Norwich Post, & East Anglian: Or, Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex, Cambridge, and Ely Intelligencer of  Wednesday, August 19, 1835 which has an announcement of the marriage on Friday at Upwell of Peter Huddleston Esq, barrister at law of London and ELizabeth, youngest daughter of william lee of Upwell

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 August 15 10:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, it's most helpful. Wonder why there is nothing on Ancestry about it. Peter was a rich man and very well connected.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 August 15 10:03 BST (UK) »

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 August 15 10:18 BST (UK) »
Very interesting. They were married by G J Huddleston, Curate. That was his brother George James Huddleston. I'm going to check, but George may have married Anne, Elizabeth's sister. I know that George became Rector of Tunworth, Hants. Many thanks again.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 August 15 10:26 BST (UK) »
He had a daughter Anne E C Huddleston aged 27 on 1861 census, born Upwell, but again can't find marriage.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 August 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
from another county families style directory (which is on Ancestry, by may depend on your sub)

Rev George James Huddleston of Upwell Hall, Cambridgeshire. Born 1802, eldest son of the late George Huddleston Esq, by Mary Elizabeth d of Peter Gauntlet Esq of Winchester. Married 1832 Ann, d of William Lee Esq of Upwell and has issue including George Croft, b 1837.

It also tells me that George was educated at Winchester and Merton College Oxford (BA 1825, MA 1826) and appointed rector of Tunworth nr Basingstoke in 1844. he was magistrate for the Isle of Ely. The Huddleston named was as you say adopted in 1819 on inheritance.

Peter also has an entry - details confirm he and George James are brothers (their father dying in 1834) He was educated at Rugby and called to the bar at Lincoln's Inn in 1831. His son Thomas Jervoise was educated at Eton and "Ch Ch, Oxford" [Christ Church?].

These Huddlestons state they share a common ancestor with the Hudlestons of Hutton John, Cumberland and Sawston Hall, Cambridgeshire. These two branches also have entries in the directory - the Cumberland only have one d in the surname and claim decent from William Hudleston of Millom castle and Jane Seymour, aunt of Queen Jane Seymour. The Sawston branch now spell the surname like Peter and George James and claim to be an ancient Normal family descended from the old Earls of Westmoreland

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 August 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
The Morning Post of 27 sept 1834 carries a death announcement for George Huddleston Esq, aged 67, in Orchard St, Portman Square, late of  Greenford, Middlesex,

YOu may also be interested in the death in 1848 aged 78 of George Purefoy Jervoise of Herriard House, Hants, son of George Huddleston  Jervoise Purefoy Jervoise (correct). amongst his extensive holdings were lands in Tunworth (I think from something else I saw the living of Tunworth parish was in his gift). Many bequests, including something to the Huddleston family (who may have been godchildren - the article is not clear). Peter Huddleston was an executor