Author Topic: What happened to Samuel Cully,s parents.  (Read 3682 times)

Offline tammiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to Samuel Cully,s parents.
« on: Friday 21 August 15 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi ,my great aunt  Ann or Annie Thompson born abt 1880 probably in Tyrone married a man called ? cully .They had two children Samuel and Annie and moved to Portadown. Samuel was took to live with his Grandfather ,John Thompson in Ballymena when he was about three, he appears in the 1911 census living with his grandfather John and johns daughter and her husband living in Finley St Shankill  ( sorry don't know how to link it )aged 8. His sister went to live with relatives called White in Portadown. Sam saw his sister over the years ,but nobody would tell them what happened. I can't find Annie or her parents on any census ,if. Anyone can solve a piece of the mystery I would be very gratefull

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Samuel Cully,s parents.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 August 15 11:07 BST (UK) »
Samuel Cully in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Shankill/Finley_Street/171906

Father- Cully, mother- Thompson
Annie Cully born 18 June 1895 Cookstown district
Mary Cully born 4 May 1900 Cookstown district

According to 1911 census Samuel was born c1903 in Co. Tyrone and this is the only close birth match I could find-
Samuel Cully born 8 Apr.1904 Dungannon district, mother- Flynn   

So. nothing fits very well so far. However.... (see next post)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 August 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
There is this family in 1901 census which fits with the 2 births I listed earlier where mother's name Thompson-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Cookstown/Oritor_St__Court_of/1729033
All Church of Ireland, Samuel born Armagh but rest of family born Tyrone-
William Cully (30) Bottle Washer at Hotel, wife Margaret (31) cannot read
Children: John (10), William R. (8), Annie (6), May (1)

Births (father- Cully, mother-Thompson) expanded from previous search, all Cookstown district:
Elizabeth Cully born 2 Apr.1888
John Cully born 18 Mar.1891
William Robert Cully born 14 July 1893
Annie Cully born 18 June 1895
Mary Cully born 4 May 1900 (1901 census- May)

Samuel Cully (c1871-1903) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FTXT-7MJ
? John Cully (c1892-1912 Ballymena) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRJ2-NZ5
? Mary Cully (c1900-1912 Ballymena) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRVM-F4F

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 August 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
So, it really is a matter of looking at what 'facts' are available.

1) how do you know that it was an 'Annie Thompson' who married Cully? and how do you know she was born c1880?

2) what's the name and occupation of Samuel's father on his marriage certificate?

3) sister Annie- was she supposed to be older or younger than Samuel? have you found the Whites in any census?

Offline tammiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 August 15 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey, I was just trying to work it out . I think that the 1901census could be right ,but with a different daughter .Margaret thompson born 1864 in Bellaghy,Londonderry. I am not sure if Annie was older or not . I don't know anything about Samuel, I was just looking for there wedding records to see when they got married ,if it Samuel 1871-1903 who died, then perhaps Margaret was pregnant with Samuel and could not cope,but why keep it secret from young Samuel ,this information comes from his own sons in the sixties,  I don't know anything about the white family from Portadown except they are part of the whitefamily from ballybay Monaghan , Margaret ,s brother James wife  s family. Sorry it is so complicated,thankyou for your help

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 August 15 14:29 BST (UK) »
Margaret Thompson was born 1864 so if she was William Cully's wife then she certainly removed a few years off her ago  (probably didn't want to appear that much older than husband).

You still haven't answered my first two questions-
1) how do you know that it was an 'Annie Thompson' who married Cully? and how do you know she was born c1880?
2) what's the name and occupation of Samuel's father on his marriage certificate?

I can, as yet, find no marriage for a Cully man to a Thompson woman, a birth for a Samuel Cully with mother Thompson, a male Cully child whose details match the information you've posted.

It was not at all uncommon for children to be placed with relatives or connections, especially if one parent was (or both parents were) unwell, dead, could not support the family. Children were not given explanations or encourages to ask any questions years ago so there's nothing strange about Samuel not talking about his parents.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 August 15 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I can find a Cully/Thompson marriage. On 26 May 1897 William Cully married Mary Anne Thompson (maiden name Ritchie) in St. Annes Cof I, Shankill, Belfast.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 August 15 15:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry- I did find that one earlier but ruled it out as her father was Robert rather than John (and of course her maiden name wasn't Thompson).

Offline tammiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 August 15 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,Idid say I know nothing about Samuel cully the father, all I know is from Samuel ,s 1904, two sons repeating the story about what happened to there father,how he always wished he knew what happened.what about the .1901 census with Margaret & Samuel cully, perhaps they were not married then.  Margaret and 5 brothers&sisters were born in or about cookstown they were all registered but then I was told of 4more children  2 of them I know are right jane&maryann and there families in ballymena but I was told there was an Annie married ? Cully  and the story of how Samuel end up living with his grandfather  and when I found the 1911 census I knew it was true, perhaps we will never the truth . I have been trying to find the other children off the 1901 census on the 1911.just a thought perhaps he was not called Samuel,but was called that after his dad died . Thanks