Author Topic: DNA Questions  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA Questions
« on: Friday 21 August 15 10:41 BST (UK) »
I'm considering taking a y-DNA test in the hope that I might be able to get my Irish Dillon ancestry further back as documentary research has been at a brick wall at around 1800 and all of my Dillon ancestors very thoughtfully only ever put "Ireland" as their place of birth on census returns. I've got a couple of questions I'd like to clear up before going any further:

1. From what I understand that a 111 or 67 marker test is going to be more reliable than a 37 marker test due to false positive results. Is a 37 marker test good enough for a Surname Project or do I really need to pay a bit more and go for 67 or 111?

2. I'm not a member of GOONS at the moment (although I've been considering it for a while) but if I was to join would I be able to get a discounted DNA test?

3. How often do FTDNA have a sale?
Dillon (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Duggan (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Marley (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Hogan (Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland)
Reekie (Fife)
Elston (Brecon, Birmingham, Dorset, Devon)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Questions
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 August 15 12:22 BST (UK) »
1. A 37-marker test is usually a good starting point when comparing matches with other surnames. Much depends on who else is in the surname project and whether or not you have any matches. 67 markers and 111 markers can give you more precision. 111 markers is probably overkill for most people unless you're interested in deep ancestry or you're comparing results pre-1500. Some people have no matches at 37 markers and others have hundreds of matches at 37 markers, but you never know until you test. You might find this article of interest:

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Match

You can always upgrade to 67 or 111 markers at a later date. It doesn't cost more to test this way. FTDNA also hold upgrade sales which usually take place once a year.

2. If you join the Guild of One-Name Studies you would be able to buy 37-marker test at the special price of £80 per kit inclusive of postage and packing. You would also be able to buy the Family Finder test from FTDNA at the special price of £60 inclusive of postage and packing. You can find details here:

http://one-name.org/help/guild-wiki/dna-kits-available-from-the-guild/

You do not have to register a surname to belong to the Guild. The Guild offers a very active friendly community for anyone interested in surname studies.

3. FTDNA normally have sales in the run-up to Christmas and again in the summer. Apparently this year there will not be a summer sale as there have been lots of special offers throughout the year with various coupon codes. If you order a Y-DNA test through FTDNA make sure you test through the Dillon Project as you get a project discount on all Y-DNA tests.
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 August 15 12:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for those answers DC , if I may , as the heading is DNA Questions- ask of those who have had tests for surname projects - what has been a general turnaround of response times?

ie how long before you have been contacted by someone?
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 August 15 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all those answers DC, that's really helpful and I'll definitely join the Guild now to get that discount.
Dillon (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Duggan (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Marley (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Hogan (Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland)
Reekie (Fife)
Elston (Brecon, Birmingham, Dorset, Devon)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 August 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for those answers DC , if I may , as the heading is DNA Questions- ask of those who have had tests for surname projects - what has been a general turnaround of response times?

ie how long before you have been contacted by someone?

David, I think response times will vary from project to project. What you're hoping for is a well managed project with a volunteer administrator who will answer your questions and interpret your results for you. The knowledge of volunteers varies considerably as well as the time available.

The response rate from matches can also be highly variable. There are some kits that have been in the database now for nearly 15 years. In many case the kit donors have now passed away and no one is taking care of their kit. It's always important for anyone taking a DNA test to nominate a beneficiary.
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 August 15 13:39 BST (UK) »
Quote from: DevonCruwys
The response rate from matches can also be highly variable. There are some kits that have been in the database now for nearly 15 years. In many case the kit donors have now passed away and no one is taking care of their kit. It's always important for anyone taking a DNA test to nominate a beneficiary.
Cheers.

Something to consider  :)

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 October 15 07:24 BST (UK) »
Another question.

I am having trouble connecting an 18th century ancestor to the name he died with. I understand the concept of Lineal DNA - ie to confirm male to male line.

And maybe I already know this answer through the Richard 111 issue. The above named ancestor is on my mothers fathers grandmothers line.

Which test is best to be able to put something into the database so I can - hopefully- find a match to a name?

Scott, Cronin

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 October 15 10:23 BST (UK) »
David

You need to take an autosomal DNA test. There are three companies that offer a cousin-finding test. Ideally you need to be in all three databases. I would recommend testing with AncestryDNA first and then doing the autosomal DNA transfer to Family Tree DNA:

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/imports/transfer-autosomal-ancestry/family-tree-dna-family-finder-transfer-program/

23andMe is primarily a health test but does also have the relative-finding component.

See the ISOGG autosomal DNA testing comparison chart:

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_testing_comparison_chart

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 October 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick response DevonCruwys.  :)

Very much appreciated

Scott, Cronin