Author Topic: Placename Query - Baptism - Drumclift, County Clare  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Placename Query - Baptism - Drumclift, County Clare
« on: Friday 21 August 15 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Wondering if there is someone who can help me with two extracts from the Drumclift, Diocese of Killaloe, Baptism Register.  A copy of these entries I have obtained from the  NLI parish registers online.  I have reviewed maps, etc, but just can't seem to locate the place of residence.  The handwriting doesn't help in deciphering the entry.  Both entries attached as jpg files.

First Entry: 
Date:  14 March 1864
Infant:  Patrick
Residence:  Cannot decipher
Parents:  Pat Mungovan and Susan Connors
Sponsors:  Michael Daffey and Honora Moran

Second Entry:
Date:  13 January 1867
Infant:  Thomas
Residence:  Cannot decipher
Parents:  Pat Muggavin and Susan Connors
Sponsors:  John Coffee and Honora Moran

I have attached a copy of the full pages.  The first entry appears as the last entry on the left hand side page.  The second entry appears as the third entry on the second page.

Hope I have explained this correctly.  Sometimes you just need a new set of eyes on this.

Regards to all,
Suzanne
Rhyll, Phillip Island,
Australia

Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Placename Query - Baptism - Drumclift, County Clare
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 August 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
I think the first one says "Turnpike"?

There are other baptisms, with the same residence further up the page - February 27th and March 3rd.

The second looks like Ballylug/Ballelug/Ballalug?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 August 15 12:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Another pair of eyes is wonderful. 

I have google Turnpike and yes that seems to be a placename located in Ennis, so that must be it.

The second one, I'm still not sure about.
Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 August 15 04:29 BST (UK) »

... The second one, I'm still not sure about.

The townland of Ballybeg, in the civil parish of Clareabbey, just over a mile south of Turnpike, Ennis.

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 August 15 10:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you, my geography around Ennis isn't great, although I am learning through various maps that are available online.  I just get confused with Parishes, Townlands, etc.

I have now located Ballybeg on the map, does Turnpike still exist?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 August 15 10:48 BST (UK) »
Simply put, the divisions in Ireland run as follows:

Province
County
Barony
Civil Parish
Townland

It can get more complicated, as parishes may run across several Baronies and/or Counties!

A Civil Parish typically consists of 25-30 Townlands.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 August 15 11:06 BST (UK) »
I would hazard a guess that it is still referred to as an area by locals, certainly if you google it you will see several references, including a house for sale in the last few years. Also this nice photo from 1912:

http://clareherald.com/2014/09/old-images-of-clare-turnpike-ennis-1912/

To this day there is still a Turnpike Road, Ennis, which is in the immediate vicinty. The origin of the area and the modern road is presumably from the Turnpike Trusts:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fy8/

In this case, the Turnpike Road went through Ennis then heading southeast to Limerick.

Another interesting titbit is that boxer Mohammed Ali's ancestor (Abe Grady?) apparently hailed from there:

http://www.visitennis.com/see-what-to-do/mohammed-ali-monument/

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 August 15 11:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all,
My geography has improved.  Even searching the parish registers I have learnt to "hop over" to the next parish or even County.  It is just a matter of coming to terms with how the divisions run.

The 1912 photograph is wonderful.  Although my Ennis family are mid-1800s it does set a scene.

The new eyes that I have had on this script is greatly appreciated in assisting with my Ennis family.
Regards to all