Author Topic: Francis Duffy possibly Ballybay area  (Read 4472 times)

Offline babykate

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Duffy possibly Ballybay area
« on: Friday 21 August 15 11:38 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to track down a Francis Duffy who lived in Keady in 1901 census was married to Elizabeth Hughes in Keady 7th Jan 1877. Francis fathers name was also Francis and they came from Monaghan area I guess from census in 1901 he would have been born around 1850ish. I haven't been able to track down a birth cert for him but the reason I think he may be from the ballybay area is that he apparently had some sort of connection to Michael duffy and Ellen Callaghan who had children in that area eg Catherine duffy born 18th Sept 1864, Michael Duffy born 11May 1862, Bridget Duffy born 4th Feb 1867 and James Duffy 2 Jan 1870. the reason I think "My" frank is related to this family from Ballybay is that he apparently stayed with Catherine in New Hampshire MA USA in the 1900's so i'm guessing that maybe they were cousins or something. any help would be greatly appreciated!
Draperstown: Trowlan, Quinn, Convery, Kelly, McKenna, Griffin, Sergeant, Hamilton, Taylor.
Monaghan: Duffy, McArdle
Sligo: Egan.
Mayo: Loftus.
Dungannon: Reilly, Milligan, Ryan, Harte.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Duffy possibly Ballybay area
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 August 15 12:10 BST (UK) »
If he was born before 1864 there will be no birth certificate and you have to start looking for baptism records. However, without more details it would be all too easy to end up following the wrong family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline babykate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 August 15 11:11 BST (UK) »
hi aghadowey

I have confirmed that "My" frank died on 14th July 1904 and was aged 56 according to engraving on his grave stone in keady. in the 1901 cenus his age was 50 (living in keady) but I haven't been able to find a death cert for him nor a birth cert even if I widen possible date of birth to say 1847 -1851. The reason I think he may be from ballybay area is that the 1901 census states he was born in ,monaghan. And he visits duffys in New Hampshire USA in early 1900 (possibly cousins) who were born in ballybay. I also know from franks marriage cert in 1877 that his fathers name was also francis - where do I go from here?? if I cant find birth / death certs on line would it be worth visting church records in ballybay. Could he possibly have died in USA and body brought home for burial - would that have been possible back in 1904?
Draperstown: Trowlan, Quinn, Convery, Kelly, McKenna, Griffin, Sergeant, Hamilton, Taylor.
Monaghan: Duffy, McArdle
Sligo: Egan.
Mayo: Loftus.
Dungannon: Reilly, Milligan, Ryan, Harte.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 August 15 12:00 BST (UK) »
Registration of births started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate for Francis Duffy.

You can, fowever, search for a baptism record as Catholic Parish Registers for Ireland are now online-
http://registers.nli.ie/#home_map

However, Tullycorbet seems to the the R.C. Parish for Ballybay and it looks like the bpatism registers only start in 1860s-
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0289

No earlier ones listed here either-
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/fuses/rcparishmaps/index.cfm?fuseaction=showidrecords&CityCounty=Monaghan&parish=Tullycorbet&churchid=289
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 19:34 BST (UK) »
You can check New Hampshire death records here - https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1601211  I didn't see any likely matches.

Where did you see him with the possible cousins in New Hampshire?

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 September 15 07:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, found a few births for Francis Duffy.......

Births for Francis Duffy:

Francis
address: Monaghan
bap 8 Aug 1855
parish: Monaghan
county: Monaghan
father: Francis Duffy
mother: Anne McCrory
sponsor: Catherine McFaddin

Francis
address: Crosshugh
bap 2 April 1858
mother: Catherine McNally
sponsors: James Fannon & Bridget Fannon

Francis
address: Monaghan
15 May 1845
mother: Bridget Murphy
sponsors: Owen Duffy & Anne Duffy

Francis
address: Ullinagh
22 Oct 1859
parish: Aughnamullen East
Roman Catholic
mother: Biddy McCaron
sponsors: Peter McMahon & Anne McMahon

Ballybay is closest to the Aughnamullen East baptism but you will need more info to make a definite ID of this baptism. Hope this helps, Kim

Offline Sicuani

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 November 18 22:16 GMT (UK) »
The Francis Duffy you are looking for information for was my great-grandfather. Perhaps I can fill in some of the blanks for you.