Author Topic: James Low born 1730 Katharine Mitchel born 1752 Forfar, Angus, Scotland  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: James Low born 1730 Katharine Mitchel born 1752 Forfar, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 05:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there again
 I seem to have got a bit muddled in the fact that I thought Burgess was the name of James wife's family
No.

it is said when we hear or listen to something we tie it in with our present knowledge and the term here is foreign and shows a cultural difference, the same category would be Councillor.
No, a burgess isn't the same as a councillor, but councillors were all elected from among the burgesses - if you weren't a burgess you didn't get a look in.

As we know quite a few people with the surname Burgess this is what I presumed.
The surname is an occupational one, from being a burgess of a town. In Forfar, there were no recorded births at all of anyone surnamed Burgess in Forfar before 1900.

I suppose Guilds are what we call Unions now the representatives here would live in the poorest part of town.
No. Rather the reverse. The guilds were the master tradesmen who were the ruling class in the town - the bosses who employed the apprentices, journeymen and labourers. Trades unions were illegal until the 19th century (one of the few facts that stuck in my mind from history lessons at school!)

Trades people are considered middle class,or even better class and would live in a higher part of town.
Not necessarily. One of the features of the city of Edinburgh is that all classes lived together in tall tenement buildings. Shops and such-like on the ground floor, the gentry and nobility one floor up, then the people got poorer till the very top, where the poorest lived - it being a considerable effort to climb seven or eight or more flights of stairs, the rents were lower the higher up you lived.

the farmers which have always been the background of our country outside the city area, but when they retired at an advanced age they sold their farm or handed it over to a family member, they bought a house in the upper suburbs then did the big OE returning to settle down and then joined some charity organization to have somewhere to go on a regular basis to meet with others from the same field, contribute to society and generally feel good about life after work.

If you owned your land you might retire somewhere else, but land owing was very concentrated in the hands of a tiny proportion of the population. So few people actually owned their farms that that didn't really happen until relatively recently. Farmers who survived long enough to retire usually stayed on, either living in the farm house with the next generation, or occasionally going into a smaller house on the farm. You only need to trace your family in the census through the 19th century to see that.

Charitable work as we know it today was mainly the preserve of the wealthy who had the leisure to indulge in such activity. Most folk had enough to do to look after themselves and their families and didn't have much time for attending meetings outside the home on a regular basis.

However I don't believe that you have to belong to an official religion to be a reasonably good person and help others to the best of your ability.
I agree entirely.

Try to get hold of some background reading, because it helps to understand the very different society and lifestyle of past centuries. Some suggestions:
Parish Life in 18th Century Scotland, Maisy Steven, Watermill Books, 1995
The Social Life of Scotland in the 18th century, Graham Henry Grey, A and C Black, 1901
A History of the Scottish People, T C Smout, Collins, 1972
A Century of the Scottish People, T C Smout, Collins, 1986
and of course the Statistical Accounts of Scotland, online at
http://stat-acc-scot.edina.ac.uk/sas/sas.asp?action=public
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 20:45 BST (UK) »
We now live on the opposite side of the world and this is what we did to the old system turned it on its head and changed it all with very little bloodshed and opportunities for everyone. Of course not everyone had the courage to change still haven't more would mean less for some.

I have tons of books on the old world my grandfather had a library with several thousand leather bound books that I wasn't suppose to read so I had finished them all by the time I was 8 and read everything in our local library, now I only read 5 to 7 a week and a lot of text books so much is available on the internet but I get your point and I realize how hard it was for our ancestors that were born into the class system I suppose it is just the pecking order in the barnyard.

Grandad always reckoned if a dozed people were marooned on a desert Island within a week one person would have most of the possessions to himself.

Cheers Have a good day

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 20:53 BST (UK) »
I realize how hard it was for our ancestors that were born into the class system

but in Scotland a clever and hardworking lad from a poor family could still get an education and do something with it - there are countless tales of the 'lad o' pairts' who rose from humble beginnings to great things.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.