Author Topic: Traveling around England?  (Read 4916 times)

Offline Paige20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Traveling around England?
« on: Saturday 22 August 15 05:51 BST (UK) »
Alright, so I wasn't sure if I should find my old post and post but I thought to post it here. I got a copy of George and Rachel's marriage certificate in the mail and I'm having problems finding them on family search. Basically I figured out that he was a laborer and the father's name seems to be short handed for William and he's a laborer too. Rachel appears to be labeled as a spinster. The condition of him is kind of strange it looks like it starts with an H. The age looks like it says official age.

So my question is how do you find relatives that seemed to have moved around?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling around England?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 August 15 07:01 BST (UK) »
This is your previous post, for reference:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=711124.msg5546329#msg5546329

As you have got back to Rachel and George, and presumably have them in censuses after their marriage, then you know a lot about them that is not on this post.

When you say that they seem to have moved around - when and where - their birthplaces and ages will be on the censuses, you use parish records, you match up information that you have with new information that you find.

Is your query just a general one, or somehow specific for Rachel and George?

If you are having problems finding people on family search, you may need to consider taking out a subscription to a paying site.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 August 15 07:10 BST (UK) »

Offline Paige20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 August 15 07:19 BST (UK) »
This is your previous post, for reference:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=711124.msg5546329#msg5546329

As you have got back to Rachel and George, and presumably have them in censuses after their marriage, then you know a lot about them that is not on this post.

When you say that they seem to have moved around - when and where - their birthplaces and ages will be on the censuses, you use parish records, you match up information that you have with new information that you find.

Is your query just a general one, or somehow specific for Rachel and George?

If you are having problems finding people on family search, you may need to consider taking out a subscription to a paying site.

Either with or without them. More of a general one I suppose because I'm having the same problem on my German heritage as well. I use ancestry and the most luck I have had has been on family search.

I know he was born in 1815 but I have no way of knowing if he was born there or moved to the area and with so many listed, it's kind of hard to narrow down. The marriage record didnt really help much.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 August 15 07:26 BST (UK) »
I have not read through all your previous postings so do not know what information you have on George.

But if you know he was born in 1815, on the census where does it say he was born?

Offline Paige20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 August 15 07:38 BST (UK) »
I have not read through all your previous postings so do not know what information you have on George.

But if you know he was born in 1815, on the census where does it say he was born?
I didn't find it on a census someone warkworth found a George Holmes was buried on 30 July 1848 at 33 years old.

Edit: I took a picture of the marriage record if anyone wants to look.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 August 15 08:15 BST (UK) »
That certificate says:

November 25th 1843
George Holmes, of full age, Widower, Labourer
to
Rachel Holmes, of full age, Spinster

"of full age" = aged 21 or over
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 August 15 08:51 BST (UK) »
Looking at the snippet you posted, I'm reading it that Wm. [William] Holmes was the father of Rachel Holmes but there is no father for the groom George Holmes.

Regarding the 'moving around' it's difficult without the full picture (census records, baptisms for children, etc.) but labourer did often move about (either within a fairly small locality or from one distinct area to another.

Not all records are on Family Search so finding information just depends on what information is actually in the database. You can check coverage for an area to see if there's a chance you might have to look elsewhere. For example- https://familysearch.org/search
click British Isles on map, select England and scroll through the listings- some counties have much better coverage than others.

Once you establish what records are available on Family Search you can then start looking at other places. Ancestry, for example, have lots of English records- it's a pay site but if you don't already have a subscription then check to see if your local library does so that you can use it there. If there's a LDS library near you they might also have access, as well as lots of other materials.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 August 15 13:13 BST (UK) »
Another previous thread has more info http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=701936.msg5474310#msg5474310

This link Kay kindly provided and a reminder to me.

I would suggest reading all these links first!  as lot of new questions raised now have been already answered.

A lot of offline work was put into this FH

Paige20 lives in the USA and is struggling with all these strange to her places and does needs help.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth