Author Topic: Perth Address Lookup Please 1947-48 Electoral / Voters Register?  (Read 4418 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Perth Address Lookup Please 1947-48 Electoral / Voters Register?
« on: Saturday 22 August 15 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hello

I usually research 1940 aviation, as a hobby.

A couple of months ago, a request on an aviation forum, enquired about acquiring their father's WW 2 Service Record.

What was known by the two daughters was that their late father emigrated to Canada in 1948 with a Mr Robert Cochrane Harvey a Cinema Manager and a Margaret Annie Harvey (nee Burke), married 4th May 1926 at Hillhead, Glasgow.

Mr Robert C Harvey the Cinema Manager appears in a number of Scottish newspapers between 1934 and 1948 with reference to his Glasgow roots.

The migration from Liverpool to Canada Halifax N.S., in the Outwards Passenger Lists stamped Liverpool 2 March 1948 on the same Contract Ticket Number 805 gives:-
HARVEY Robert Cochran aged 47, Cinema Manager.
HARVEY Margaret aged 47, Housewife.
MacKAY Alexander aged 24, Engineer.

all of 22 Oakbank Road, Perth, Scotland. This address also checks out with a 1943 Court appearance by Mr Robert Harvey for not adhering to the wartime blackout, with regard to the Playhouse Cinema, Perth.

Look-Up Request Please
I noted that full names are not always used on this passenger List and also as we have two names (with differing surname spellings) Robert McKie and Alexander MacKAY (in an official shipping list), I wondered please if someone would be kind enough in Perth to look up the Electoral Register / Voters Roll circa 1947, for 22 Oakbank Road, Perth and hopefully get a photograph of the entry of the exact spellings, including any middle names or initials, until the Harvey's ceased to be at the address?

Many Thanks, Mark

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Perth Address Lookup Please 1947-48 Electoral / Voters Register?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 August 15 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

To the best of my knowledge the Electoral/Voters Registers for that period are kept at the National Library of Scotland   www.nls.uk/   telephone no. (44)0131 623 3700. They have an online chat room where at certain times you can email your question.  Not sure if these records are available in Perth itself but will check this out and let you know.

Others may know more than me but I see nobody has replied to you yet.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 August 15 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi its me again, checked out Perth Council but couldn't find any exact info on what they have but their phone no. is (+44) 01738 444949   email  library@pkc.gov.uk.

Don't think that any of these records for 1946/1947 will be available online as they are too recent.

Let me know if you have any luck.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 August 15 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Dorrie

Thanks for the contact info. Our Registers are at our local library (out the back) in England, usually up to last year or two. I thought it might be just a question of asking kindly if someone living near Perth Library could check when next there, in the 1947 and 1948 (as they can be 6 months behind). I realise they probably will not get a photo / or copy.

"Alexander MacKay" an Engineer used several names and he may have also been living at the address prior to emigrating. Just to check if he had same name and any middle name/s or initial/s?

Mark

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

Sorry, but I don't live in Perth but in Edinburgh.

Perth & Kinross may have the records going back to 1947/1948 but eventually they are all kept at the National Library in Edinburgh.

I would love to help you further but at the moment I am looking after my grandsons and going on holiday shortly.

If you have no further luck I could check at the National but it would not be until end Sept/beg Oct :'(

Let me know if you can wait that long and I will see what I can do.

Regards,

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 August 15 21:55 BST (UK) »
1946......Telephone Directory

R C Harvey
22 Oakbank Rd
Exchange:   Perth
Directory Title - Aberdeen / Dundee / Edinburg / Glasgow / Scotland West / North Ireland Sep
Publication Year 1946
Page    89

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 August 15 22:10 BST (UK) »
Listed from what I could find as:
R C Harvey at 22 Oakbank Road from 1942 - 1946

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 August 15 23:09 BST (UK) »
1946......Telephone Directory

R C Harvey
22 Oakbank Rd
Exchange:   Perth
Directory Title - Aberdeen / Dundee / Edinburg / Glasgow / Scotland West / North Ireland Sep
Publication Year 1946
Page    89

Annie

Thanks Annie

But trying to see if Alexander MacKay (old enough to vote) is at the address, especially to check surname spelling, plus any middle name/s or initial/s.

It is clear, this UK Outwards Passenger List does not always give full names to the people listed (e.g. Mrs Harvey had a middle name on their Marriage Certificate), so looking for full name & any initial/s for Alexander MacKay in the Electoral / Voters List at 22 Oakbank Road, Perth, Scotland.

It is a bit of a sad account as to why the father (emigrated to Canada with Robert C. Harvey, a Cinema Manager & Mrs M.A Harvey) did not reveal his name Robert McKie (per person traced in Scotland) or reveal Alexander MacKay (per Outwards shipping list), to his daughters who live across the Atlantic, one of whom appealed on an RAF Forum and out of kindness I offered to try and help.

At some point in Canada he took the name 'Harvey' and it seems took 'Kay' possibly from MacKay, spelling it 'Kaye'. His daughters have been trying to get various copy records from the UK, which are coming back no trace.

No name in the RAF names & service numbers. Fortunately, a contact in Scotland who knew the Harvey's revealed he had another name Robert McKie.

When someone is next visiting an Archive or Library please who holds Electoral/voters Rolls, will be fine thanks.

I live some way from Scottish border, sadly.
Mark

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 August 15 23:30 BST (UK) »
But trying to see if Alexander MacKay (old enough to vote) is at the address, especially to check surname spelling any middle name/s or initial/s.

It is clear, this UK Outwards Passenger List does not always give full names to the people listed (e.g. Mrs Harvey had a middle name it is on their Marriage Certificate), so looking for a second reference for Alexander MacKay and the Electoral / Voters List is our only hope.

It is a bit of a sad account as to why the father (emigrated to Canada with Robert C. Harvey, a Cinema Manager & Mrs M.A Harvey) did not reveal his name Robert McKie (per person traced in Scotland) or reveal Alexander MacKay (per Outwards shipping list), to his daughters who live across the Atlantic, one of whom appealed on an RAF Forum and out of kindness I offered to try and help.

At some point he took the name 'Harvey' and it seems took 'Kay' possibly from MacKay, spelling it 'Kaye' for his names. His daughters have been trying to get various records from the UK, which are coming back no trace.

Mark

The passenger lists were like census records..................the spelling was how it sounded to whoever was writing it down.

MacKay/McKay & MacKie/McKie were not alone with errors.

I'm sure at some stage someone will be able to have a look to see if they can find anything as was previously mentioned, not all online.

Annie

ADDED..............Seems as though Alexander wanted to disappear without trace if he didn't tell his daughters  ???