Author Topic: Bryn Rodyn farm Trelawynd  (Read 3520 times)

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bryn Rodyn farm Trelawynd
« on: Sunday 23 August 15 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all been trying to trace who farmed at bryn rodyn around the early 1900s  as among some old family photos we have a postcard sent to my wife's Grandmother from the farm ,her name was Hannah Hughes who lived in Amlwch .Hannah married John Owen from Amlwch in 1913 ,we also have a photo approx 1930 of my wife's mother ploughing on a heavy horse on what we think is the same farm.The farmer's name could have been Hughes but not had any luck with my search,any info would be appreciated.Cheers-- Clwyd 2.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bryn Rodyn farm Trelawynd
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 15 19:42 BST (UK) »
I suspect the name of the farm is Bryn yr Odyn,postcode LL18 6DY.This is close to Gop Hill,Newmarke/Trelawnyd.In 1881 the family at this farm were Frimstone,and in 1891 two families are there, Roberts and Blythin.I'll see if I can find any later data(perhaps from newspaper snippets?)
(P.S. The next property on the later census is the interestingly titled "Purgatory")

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 15 20:04 BST (UK) »
In 1901,families Evans and Parry(who appear related to the Jones' in Purgatory!) are there.1911 look ups are not allowed.I can't see any further info in newspaper snippets at the moment.

Regards
Roger

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 August 15 00:55 BST (UK) »
In 1901,families Evans and Parry(who appear related to the Jones' in Purgatory!) are there.1911 look ups are not allowed.I can't see any further info in newspaper snippets at the moment.

Regards
Roger
thanks Roger
The name on the postcard says Bryn Rodyn but it is probably the same farm as that is the post code .I found a newspaper article from 1966 the owner of the farm had died and it was giving details of his estate and the name of the farm was spelt the way I wrote it.The name of the owner was 
Mr P.J.P. Davies.Part of our family tree is the name Parry there was also a woman called Hannah Davies Parry from Flintshire who travelled to NewZealand in 1913 with a Mr J parry.We have been trying to trace if this was the same J Parry that left his wife in Amlwch and disappeared around that time ,the rumour was that he had gone to NewZealand with a woman but we have never been able to prove if it was true.Cheers Chris

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 August 15 15:10 BST (UK) »
There is a record of a Peter J R(eed) Davies of Newmarket who died in 1966.It would seem likely that he is the person in question.He can be found in the 1901 census with his mother Margaret E Davies,a niece of the widow Elizabeth Hughes at The Crown Inn,Newmarket.Elizabeth's husband was a Peter Hughes,seen at The Crown Inn in 1881 and The Eagle and Child in Gwaenysgor(a hostelry I frequented many years ago).Margaret Davies' husband was a William Davies from Montgomeryshire.
Hannah Davies Parry was the daughter of William and Ann Parry of Nerquis/Nercwys,Flintshire.
I'm not sure who the J Parry is,nor can I see any connection with any of these people with Amlwch at the moment.

Regards
Roger

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 August 15 15:47 BST (UK) »
Welsh newspapers on line - Flintshire Observer & Mining Journal... Flint, Denbigh, 13 Oct 1898

Marriages
Evans - Jones  On the 10th inst, at the Register Office, Holywell, Mr Evan Evans, Penyllan, Llanasa to Miss Catherine Jones, Bryn yr odyn, Newmarket

Offline iwan hiraethog

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 September 17 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
The family at Bryn Rodyn would have been Hugh Henry Evans and possibly his wife Sarah, however not sure if Sarah is correct as Hugh Henry had two wives , details of the second not known but on the balance of probabilities it was Sarah

Children living there would have been Nora Evans and Hugh Henry Evans (junior) also another three half siblings ( not sure of details )