Author Topic: Marriage: Staphen Hayhoe / Sarah Sexton  (Read 2657 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage: Staphen Hayhoe / Sarah Sexton
« on: Sunday 23 August 15 10:35 BST (UK) »
My great x4 grandmother Martha Hayho(e) was baptized at St John de Sepulchre, Norwich on 25 October 1795. The register entry reads:

Martha daughter of Stephen Hayhoe and Sarah his wife late Sarah Sexton spinster.

I found this entry yesterday, when a brief opportunity to visit the Millennium Library in Norwich enabled me to take a look through the microfiches ... but it'll be a long time until I can get to Norwich again.

In the meantime, if anyone is looking at Norfolk records and has completed their own lookups for the day with a bit of time on their hands, I'd be very grateful if they could have a look and see if they could find anything at all on these parents - a marriage (no later than 1795, obviously), any more children's baptisms, their own baptisms ... at present I have nothing definite on either of them, other than this one baptism (which can also be found on FreeReg, where the transcriber appears to have omitted to notice the words "Sarah his wife late", and so has given the erroneous impression that it was an illegitimate birth ... ). I have found nothing else on FreeReg.

I am not necessarily expecting to find their burials in Norfolk. Martha was married in a village just outside Newmarket, so I suspect the whole family may have moved south. There was a 72 year old Sarah Hayho buried in Newmarket St Mary on 16 December 1824 (NBI) - implied year of birth if the age is correct is 1752, so this looks like a plausible candidate.

There was also an 88 year old Stephen Hayho buried in Thorndon, Suffolk on 19 November 1841 (NBI), registered Suffolk, Hartismere 1841 Q4 vol. 13 p. 291 - implied year of birth if the age is correct 1753. This is a possible candidate. I am not entirely happy about the thought of an old man moving from Newmarket to Thorndon after he had been widowed, but I am certainly not ruling it out, especially if there was another child of his living in the area; and it just so happens that the 1841 census DOES show Hayhoe household in Thorndon, headed by a man who IS the right age to be a son of Stephen and Saran, and an older brother for Martha:

HO107 Piece 1024 Book 9 Folio 21 Page 15

John Hayhoe, 50; Ester Hayhoe, 20; Wm Hayhoe, 17; Mary Hayhoe, 14; Thos Hayhoe, 9; Saml Hayhoe, 6; Margrett Smith, 70.

All are said to have been born in Suffolk; but this is what would also be recorded in Suffolk for those who did not know where they were born.

John is still there in 1851, at Standwell Lodge, Thorndon All Saints, Hartismere:

HO107 Piece 1795 Folio 453 page 7

John Hayhoe, widower, 64, Ag Lab, place of birth unknown; Hannah Kent, House Keeper, 28, born Stoke Ash, Suffolk.

So if this is an older brother of Martha, we may hope to find a baptism of a John Hayhoe, son of Stephen and Sarah, at St John de Sepulchre, Norwich, in about 1787 (assuming the age is correct in the 1851 census, which is of course far from certain). If such a baptism can be found, then the death of Stephen Hayho in Hartismere in 1841 is looking pretty likely to be my great x5 grandfather.

Are there other baptisms to be found as well? Quite possibly. If Stephen was born in 1753 and Sarah in 1752, then they would be 34 and 35 respectively in 1878, John's presumed year of birth. This is quite old to be starting a family. It may be that they married late (Sarah, at least, was not widowed when they married - we know that from the register entry for Martha's baptism); but I think it more likely either that their ages at death were overstated and/or that they had a number of children before John.

Sooo ... sorry for the long and rambling account, but it is always useful to review the evidence as you go along.

What am I hoping to find?

(1) Marriage for Stephen Hayho(e) and Sarah Sexton, probably in Norwich and quite possibly at St John de Sepulchre, some time between say 1773 and 1787

(2) Baptism of John Hayho(e), son of Stephen and Sarah, probably in Norwich and likely at St John de Sepulchre, in or about 1787

These two are the key ones to find. Also useful, however, would be:

(3) Baptisms of any other Hayhoe children of Stephen and Sarah, between their marriage and Martha's baptism in 1795 (and, for that matter, any subsequent baptisms, as Martha may not have been the youngest ... )

(4) Baptism of Stephen Hayho(e) in about 1753 and/or Sarah Sexton in or about 1752, both probably in Norwich, in order to be able to push back a further generation. FreeReg offers three possibilities for Sarah outside Norwich: Sarah Sexton, daughter of James & Sarah, baptized East Wretham 7 October 1750; Sarah Sexton, daughter of Edward & Ann, baptized Aylsham 17 December 1754; and Sarah Saxton, daughter of Daniel and Hannah, baptized Wymondham 8 September 1759. I have not yet ruled any of these out - my current search is for additional candidates who can be ruled in, before I start trying to discriminate between them ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage: Staphen Hayhoe / Sarah Sexton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 15 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi jbml

You can find PR's for St John de Sepulchre here on Family Search

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ykk/

Yokel

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage of Stephen Highhow and Sarah Sexton 29 Sept 1776 at Coltishall

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fyg/

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 August 15 11:55 BST (UK) »
Then there is a William baptised to Stephen and Sarah Heyhoe in 1777 in Coltishall

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fyh/

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 August 15 12:35 BST (UK) »
Besides William in 1777 at Coltishall, there are also baptisms there for a Mary (Heighoe) 28/2/1779, Eliz. (Highoe) 7/10/1781 and Ann 10/3/1786.

Have been looking at original parish records on familysearch but no more baptisms there after Ann's in 1786 so presumably left Coltishall after then.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 August 15 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hey guys ... that's looking pretty promising! Thank you so much.

Still need to figure out where they went after Coltishall ... and find John's baptism to tie these ones in if I can. There's plenty of candidates on FreeReg (19 March 1786 Stiffkey; 28 May 1787 Wells-next-the-Sea; 5 March 1795 West Dereham; 15 September 1801 Shipdham; 1 January 1804 Holme Hale; 26 January 1805 Easton) ... but none of these is a son of Stephen and Sarah.

Hmmmm ... maybe my theory about John isn't right. But Stephen and Sarah of Coltishall look like strong candidates for Martha's parents ... although they presumably had more children between 1786 and 1795 ... so where are they??

Gotta keep digging ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline berkeley

• RootsChat Senior
  • HMS Berkeley-Dieppe-Aug-19-1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 August 15 23:16 BST (UK) »
                Here are 2 links for you to lookat http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fyn/ this is a baptism for
            a Sary Saxton in Horsham St Faiths 4/05/1755., is this meant to be Sarah?? H/S/Faiths is about
            6 miles from Coltishall.
             Then there is this marriage of James Sexton to Elizabeth Cubit in Rackheath 26/03/1749
             http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fyo/ it states the the brides abode is H/S/Faiths. Rackheath
             is about 5 miles from Coltishall.
             These are also on FreeReg.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 August 15 23:27 BST (UK) »
Of no use to your search, but there's a "who's the daddy?" query in my tree that's got a Hayhoe pinned against a high probability :)
In Cambs though, 1841-1907.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 August 15 00:09 BST (UK) »
Oh wow ... thank you, Berkeley.

Unfortunately, my computer is too ancient and decrepit to be able to follow the links you've offered me.

I am presuming, though, from the fact that you are offering me that marriage that Sary's parents are James and Elizabeth. Is that right?