Author Topic: Isaac Gillespie  (Read 2202 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isaac Gillespie
« on: Sunday 23 August 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
Isaac Joseph Gillespie states on 1901 census of Henrietta St, Dublin that he is 40 yrs old so born circa 1860 Middletown,Co Armagh a Roman Catholic ?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Inns_Quay/Henrietta_Street/1280321/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Inns_Quay/Henrietta_Street/33082/
there are two children buried Glasnevin ,Isaac 1899 age 8mths and Annie 1902 age 9mths
He is with his second wife Catherine Young who he married in 1895 giving his parents as John Gillespie and Margaret Sparks, decd.
marriage
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=st.mary%27s-pro-cath_mf_1862-1881_ma_0399
his eldest ? son John born Glasgow circa 1883 so suspect he may have married his first wife in Scotland prior to this.

I had a look on the Tynan microfilm but did'nt really spot anything if this is the right area and if he was born a Catholic.
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632618#page/43/mode/1up

his daughter Catherine or Kathleen Gillespie married my great uncle Hugh O'Neill,Marble
Polisher in Dublin 1920.

any help on defining his birth or first marriage much appreciated.

Dathai

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Gillespie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 15 12:50 BST (UK) »
If you get the birth certificate for son John born in Scotland it will list mother's maiden name as well as date and place of parents' marriage.

Then, if the marriage took place in Scotland, you can get that marriage which will give you names of both sets of their parents.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 15 13:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey but i dont have access to Scottish records or the means to pay for same just hoping someone might recognise his (Isaac's)parents names.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 August 15 21:28 BST (UK) »
1881 Scottish Census has an Isaac Gillespie, aged 25, living with his sisters, Charlotte and Teresa om Glasgow.  All born in Ireland.  He is a tile layer.  What was your Isaac by profession?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 August 15 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen, thanks for your response that is most likely him in 1881 as you can see from the census links 1901 and 1911 that he was an encaustic tile setter.
thank you.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 August 15 13:05 BST (UK) »
The 1881 census records actually says "encaustic tile layer" so I think you have a match.  So, now there are two sisters to try and track down; ie, marriages; should give you more details about their parents and perhaps a more specific birth place.

I believe Teresa is in the 1901 Irish Census living in Dublin, aged 40, unmarried, a dressmaker. Says she is a Methodist and was born in Co. Armagh.  By 1911, she is living back in Co. Armagh, aged 50, single, now a Presbyterian, and a seamstress.  Living in Gaol Square, Armagh.

Griffiths shows a John Gillespie on Ogle Street, Armagh; landlord is a Mrs. C.M. Luke.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 August 15 13:42 BST (UK) »
There aren't a lots of Teresa Gillespies in Ireland and along with the Armagh connection that could be Isaac's sister.
Possible death- https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRLT-TPF
D/1921/9/1002/37/194, Teresa Gillespie, 7 June 1921, age 6, Armagh district (& sub-district)

For reference here are the census records mentioned- in 1901 she's living in Dublin St., Armagh not Dublin-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/South_Ward/Dobbin_Street/1010921
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Armagh_E__Urban/Gaol_Square/326993

If this is Isaac's sister Teresa then it's possible he was a Catholic convert rather than Catholic from birth.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 August 15 14:54 BST (UK) »
thanks to the kind genorosity of fellow RootsChatter  Angie i have been sent the following marriage a bit hard to decipher but here goes.

possibly Bridgeton
15th July 1881, Sacret Heart Church,Glasgow. after'' illegible'' according to the laws of Roman Catholic Church.
Isaac Gillespie age 26 son of John a farmer and Margaret Sparks both decd,
address 69 Mordaunt St,Glasgow.
to
Margaret Caddow age 20 dtr of William Caddow,Gaswork foreman,alive?
and Margaret Lough.....Loughlin/Lougherm/Loughem,decd
address 272 Delingran.......Road,Glasgow.
Wit Patrick Conighy ? and Agnes Kelly.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 August 15 14:56 BST (UK) »
So if Isaac did convert it could have been shortly before the Scottish marriage and there would probably be an adult baptism recorded in the records there (likely the same church as the marriage took place).