Author Topic: William Hood and Jane Brettle  (Read 1728 times)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Hood and Jane Brettle
« on: Sunday 23 August 15 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, William and Jane married 5/3/1775 St Mary's Old Swinford. Trying to establish without having to visit records office or purchase details on marriage record, ie bach/widower - spinster/widow and any witnesses to the marriage. Any help really welcome.

John

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
Re: William Hood and Jane Brettle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 August 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I very much doubt if the records that old will even show if they were bach & spin etc

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 September 15 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
Had a look.Sorry it took so long.
5th March 1775
William Hood  and Jane Jane Brettle. no of other parish or bach or spinster.
William signed ,Jane made a cross.
Witnesses Robert Quartermain and Mathew Andoa
Robert Quartermain signed ,Mathew didn't .
Robert  also witnessed 4 other marriages on the page so could well be the sexton etc.

I also went through the poor law indexes for the parish and no Hoods.
There are a Ralph and Ann and a Bennet and Elizabeth Hood having children in the  parish 1770's and 1780's but that's it.Hood just isn't a local name.

Brettle is so I did have a look at the baptisms 1736-1768 but no luck.There was a William and Jone Brettell having children ,married 1756 and I hoped if I pushed on they might be the right ones but no.
There was a Jane d of Thomas and Mary Beddall 11.6.1755 but that was the nearest.

Nearby at Kingswinford there is a Jane Brettel d of Joseph and Elizabeth 2.11.1751.

Did spot some possible burials for the couple William age 71 Wednesbury 25.2.1827 and Jane 1.9.1820 age 65 Bilston from Capon Fields Sedgley

Sorry
Ciderdrinker

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 15 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker, thanks for your efforts on this, most appreciated. The William dying in 1827 is a strong contender. Jane who died in 1820 is I believe my Jane. Many of the family including my own gx3 Henry was baptised 1816 in Bilston and the address given was Capponfield, as was his brother Edward Brettle Hood in 1821-Capponfieldfield. So Wednesbury being a stones throw away does make William a good find and his aged would tie in nicely with that of Jane.

Again thanks for your time.

John