Author Topic: Marian Kate Smith and Constance Winifred Smith  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marian Kate Smith and Constance Winifred Smith
« on: Sunday 23 August 15 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for these two ladies on the 1901 census.  Marian Kate (born 1868 Chicago USA) and Constance Winifred (born 1870 King Street Westminster) were my grandmother's spinster aunts, daughters of Duncan Smith and his wife Sophia Emma (nee Almond).
They are not with their mother (widowed since 1875) nor can I see them with any other relatives.
In 1911 Marian is in Eastbourne along with her mother and another relative (Florence Isabel Ware) however I cannot find Constance on that census either.  Marian describes herself as a nurse.
Sophia died in 1925 in Worcester, Marian is the informant, Constance died in 1927 and again Marian is the informant.  Marian died in 1957 in Bexhill, her niece Grace Rosher was the informant.
I would appreciate any help locating both ladies on the 1911 and Constance on the 1901.  Many thanks
Malim (any) Wilde, Mase/Mace Bagshaw (Norwich/Norfolk), Almond (London, Staffs, S America, Thanet) Hart, Sharp/e Lincs, Smith (London) Ware (London) Blower (Hants Essex) Webb, Holmes (Suffolk Essex) Warcup (London, W Indies) Hallam (Leics) Johnson and Noon Derbyshire

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marian Kate Smith and Constance Winifred Smith
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 15 19:15 BST (UK) »
Think this is marian on 1901

RG13, 417, 107, 42

Ancestry have transcribed her as Marrian, and the image looks like Maryian - born Chicago, British citizen. address is 41 & 43 Jeffreys Road,Lambeth. the relationship to head is "servant" however her occupation is monthly nurse. I think this is probably a maternity institution, as there are a number of women with very young children at the institution (and a female medical practitioner!)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 15 19:17 BST (UK) »
It was indeed the Clapham maternity hospital - see http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/vcdf/detail?inst_id=118&coll_id=11892 for details and records

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 August 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
HI seeing mention of a Rosher family is Constance W Smith 30 b Paddington with a Frederick & Isabel Rosher in 1901 Godstone, Surrey?
Census Ref RG13/631/29/50
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 August 15 19:26 BST (UK) »

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 August 15 09:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all of this information.  Constance with the Rosher family in 1901 is one I had obviously missed as Isabel (married to Frederick Howard Rosher) was their eldest sister and mother of Grace and Stella.
The nursing references are interesting too as I was interested in what Marian and Constance did for a living.  My grandmother trained as a Norland nanny; perhaps the influence of Marian?

So my next query is if they trained how would I find out where?
Malim (any) Wilde, Mase/Mace Bagshaw (Norwich/Norfolk), Almond (London, Staffs, S America, Thanet) Hart, Sharp/e Lincs, Smith (London) Ware (London) Blower (Hants Essex) Webb, Holmes (Suffolk Essex) Warcup (London, W Indies) Hallam (Leics) Johnson and Noon Derbyshire