Author Topic: Marriage William Lawson to Isabella Morgan, abt 1842  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Marriage William Lawson to Isabella Morgan, abt 1842
« on: Monday 24 August 15 01:37 BST (UK) »
Comparing the headstones for this couple on discovereverafter, as well as familysearch, as well as Carnmoney Baptisms, as well as the Irish censuses, I believe this couple probably married abt 1842, probably Ballylinney, as their first child that I can find is Jane born July 21, 1843 and baptised at the Presbyterian Church,Ballylinney Parish as per familysearch but she is on the Carnmoney Presbyterian Baptisms transcribed by Dixie Dee. I find this very confusing.
I would love to have the date of marriage for this couple, and hoping for William's father but, as this marriage is before 1845, it is probably not listed. I think his father is Francis as per William's firstborn son.  I am trying to tie this family to my Mary Lawson as they are from the same area.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage William Lawson to Isabella Morgan, abt 1842
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 August 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
Here's the LDS record you found which gives the baptism of Jane at Ballylinney Presbyterian Church in 1843-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRHG-C5T

If you search for the contents of that microfil there are a variety of items listed-
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&query=%2Bfilm_number%3A0990082

Sarah Lawson bapt.1849- https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRHG-CQV
Isabella Lawson bapt.1853- https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRHG-4LG

Since I know that Dixie Dee transcribed the Carnmoney baptisms from the church registers I'm inclined to believe it's probably an LDS error.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 August 15 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hi again Peggy,

Thats an "interesting" conundrum - duplicate baptismal entries at Ballylinny Pb & Carnmoney Pb.

I had a wee look at the history of the incumbents.
The Revd. Isaac ADAMS seems to have served at Ballylinny Pb from shortly after it was opened in 1836 for 43 years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballylinney_Presbyterian_Church#Ministers_of_Ballylinney

However, Carnmoney Pb seems to have suffered a hiatus in Feb 1841 when John DILL died suddenly.
David WILSON seems to held the reins briefly in 1844.
Things didn't settle down until Joseph BARKELEY took over in May 1845.
http://carnmoney.org/past-ministers.html

So, during 1841-1845 there is likely to have been an element of "pulpit covering" going on.

And in fact it was (and still is) quite common for a Minister to serve two congregations.
[e.g. I found references to Isaac ADAMS conducting services at the "Presbyterian chapel" in Ballynure in 1857.]

In my wild young days as a church organist we were on a very tight schedule every Sunday, service at big church 10:30 - tea& biscuit in the Manse - manic drive over the water - service in the small church 12 noon. Back later for 18:00 for the evening service, etc.
[Sunday was the busiest day of my week - recompense £4 all up - it paid for the petrol!]

It is likely that Isaac ADAMS was asked to lead the worship at the "vacant" Carnmoney.  He may have organised this as a separate event from his duties at Ballylinney, or he may have invited both congregations to meet together - at either venue.  Thus both congregations would have been "witnesses" to the common events.

Most ministers carried a "note book" with them, recording their actions w.r.t. the formal offering of the two (retained by Protestantism) Sacraments - namely Baptism & Marriage.

Whether by accident, or because of a joint meeting of the two churches, such events may have subsequently been transcribed in to the records of the separate congregations.
['Twas no crime to record an event in more than one repository.
 In retrospect it is a shame that this wasn't practised more readily, particularly for CoI!]

Your confusion should be alleviated by examining the original records, which should contain details of the location (townland) of the participants in the events.
[? Such apparently omitted during Dixie Dee's mammoth transcription efforts of the Carnmoney registers.]

I'd thought that the duplication might be due to an over-enthusiastic young W.F. McKINNEY, but realise that is was before he started his 60 year stint as the secretary to the Carnmoney Pb congregation ~1860.]

ADDENDUM: The baptism on 30-MAY-1843 of Mary ADAMS, dau. of The Revd. I. ADAMS & Eliza DUNDEE is recorded in the Carnmoney Pb records.
[Aha, DUNDEEs married in to the McKINNEYs of Sentry Hill ... I spent a pleasant afternoon there once c/o Dr. Isaac DUNDEE - reckon that he might have got his first name from his family's ADAMS in-laws.]

----
So, given the timing, the William LAWSON = Isabella MORGAN marriage might well be recorded within the records of Carnmoney Pb.
[Hence it should be in the McKINNEY stud books.]

However, keep in mind that it might have been elsewhere, and earlier.
[Bride's home location, or anytime after 1833 say when William came of full (21 years) age.  He seems to have become quite a character in Ballyclare, leading the business community in his role as woollen draper - tried to find you some adverts in BNL but to no avail.]

Before Ballylinney church was built, local Pb folks attended at Templepatrick, Ballyclare, Ballyeaston & Carnmoney.
[With a remote possibility of Parkgate, Donegore, but we covered that for you already.]

Also keep in mind that Isabella MORGAN might have come from outwith the immediate area, and/or been of a non-Pb persuasion.
[Perhaps a trawl through the 1901 Census looking at "old" MORGANs might help to guide you;
 Also a search through the Griffiths Valuations of ~1864.]

A very useful "1 inch to 1 mile" map of the area is:

Antrim & Ballyclare 1900
OLD ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS
THE GODFREY EDITION 2010
Ireland Sheet 28
ISBN 978-1-4784-349-4
www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk

Trying hard to hold on to your tails!

Capt. Jock
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 August 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Capt. Jock and aghadowey. Much to think about. How do I examine the original record - by ordering from the parish? Yesterday, I received the First Donegore CD showing records from 1806 by and large. So I looked in there for William's marriage and William Lawson's birth and neither was there, even though my Mary Lawson's daughter Margaret Boyd's marriage to Thomas Beggs is there in 1831 and she was married in the parish of her uncle who was a Lawson.
I did make a file on my FamilyTreeMaker program which does include a lot of William Fee McKinney's records, any that might involve my family or people related to my family.  Unfortunately, WFM did not include my Boyds even though Jenny Boyd nee Carson was my gggg grandmother and Jenny's sister Isabella George nee Carson was an ancestor of WFM so I was hoping for help in his records. Jenny's son Samuel Carson Boyd married Mary Lawson and I am trying to figure out if this William Lawson is related to her. I think Mary's father is John Lawson as her grandson (son of Margaret Boyd married to Thomas Beggs) is named John Lawson Beggs as are several other family members. There are some other family members named Mary Lawson Beggs.
Since Ballylinney started in 1836, I need to look for William's birth in Templepatrick, Ballyclare, Ballyeaston & Carnmoney.  I have tried to check Carnmoney but need to get more familiar with looking for William's birth using Proni.
Thanks again
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 September 15 17:08 BST (UK) »
I have checked the Carnmoney Stud Books for this marriage and it is not there.