Author Topic: Farm Service in Darvel  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Rustypup

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Farm Service in Darvel
« on: Monday 24 August 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
   Looking for help re my grandmother Annie Haire born 1 July 1891 in Irvine. Have her in 1901
   census in Kyleswell Street, Kilwinning and 1911 census in South Crescent, Saltcoats as
   domestic servant in large seafront house. Trying to find her possibly in farm service in Darvel.

Led to believe she worked from around 14 years old in farm belonging to Alexander Fleming
   or his brother. How can I find her from 1904 till 1911?

Rustypup

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Farm Service in Darvel
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 August 15 23:31 BST (UK) »
It is very difficult to find an unmarried farm worker between one census and the next. She won't appear on the valuation rolls as she would be living in the farmhouse. She would be employed for six months at a time, earning about £3. There is a faint possibility that she might appear in the newspaper in connection with something and her address be given. She might appear on a congregation roll for the parish church. With male married workers it is much easier.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 01:24 BST (UK) »
Alexander Fleming was born at Lochfield Farm outside Darvel.
The farm tenancy passed over from his father Hugh Fleming (after his death) to his older half-brother Hugh Fleming. Hugh Fleming eventually purchased the  farm and worked it till he died in the 1943. This would likely be the farm your grandmother worked at if your information is correct, however finding documented proof will be difficult.

Only thing I can suggest is contacting the Ayrshire Archives to find out if they have any paperwork/letters relating to the farm circa 1904 -1911.

Good luck with your research,

Looby :)

Offline Rustypup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 17:09 BST (UK) »
   Many thanks GR2 and loobyloo

Will try Ayrshire Archives who've helped me before and try church registers as I know she
   attended church walking from farm to Darvel.

Rustypup