Author Topic: George Renwick and his will  (Read 7461 times)

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Renwick and his will
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 03:11 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find the marriage of Isabella Usher and William Renwick on SP, but Ancestry has it.  Also the fact that Isabella and William Renwick were living at Hawthornside when my 3x great grandfather, George Renwick, died in 1867 means they knew each other so that may account for her name being on his will. I can't find any record to show that William and George were brothers because I can't find the parents of George's who are named on the death record.

Monica, thanks for the line of names idea.  In case it helps here are the children of George Renwick and his wife, Agnes Kedzie: James b.1826, Jessie Ann b.1828, Walter b.1830, Jean/Jane b.1833, Barbara b. 1834, and Benjamin b.1838.  I can't believe how many Renwicks lived in the Borders region! 

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 05:19 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism for a William Renwick 1/6/1794 Hobkirk Roxburgh father James Renwick on Scotlands People there are 2 wills dated 11/11/1848 ..30/11/1848
William Renwick tenant of the farms of Chapelmains and Byrecleugh might be worth viewing them to see if there is any mention of a brother George ?
Rosie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 18:46 BST (UK) »
Certainly throws up a couple of possible links there, Rosie  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 19:14 BST (UK) »
I've made some progress with all your help.  William was born on June 1, 1794, four years after George, who was born in 1790.
I looked at the wills Rosie mentioned and paid to see the second one, which disclosed that William died on May 1, 1848 while he and his wife, Isabella Usher Renwick, were living at the farms of Chapelmains and Byrecleugh.  She signed the document.
George and William are brothers because Isabella also signed George's will when he died in 1867.  He was a tenant at the farm of Hawthornside.
So the father of both was a James Renwick and the only hint of a mother is a Jane or Jean Anderson listed on the death certificate of George.
Are the afore mentioned farms close to each other?  Any ideas for Jane/Jean Anderson?
The first will says inventory and I haven't paid to see it but I could.  Thanks so much.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 August 15 13:21 BST (UK) »
Thomas Renwick of Swanshiel, Hobkirk, had a unmarried  Daughter called Isabella - she was living with him in the 1851 census - worth a look

If you are looking at the Usher trail it could be interest - there are reknown and very well known family

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 August 15 20:00 BST (UK) »
Not really relevant, but Jim Renwick of Hawick, who is still alive, was a great rugby player for Hawick and Scotland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Renwick

Harry

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 August 15 00:02 BST (UK) »
Harry, thank you for the link, which was interesting to read.  There is probably some family connection from my grandfather, James Renwick (lived in Denholm) to Jim Renwick, the rugby player.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 August 15 11:55 BST (UK) »
My 4 x great-grandfather Joseph Stephenson married Margaret Renwick at Alwinton in north Northumberland in 1791. I'm descended from Joseph's illegitimate son Hugh Stephenson who was born circa 1785. Joseph died at Longyester farm, East Lothian, in 1803, and one of the relatives present when the will was read out was a George Renwick, described as brother of the widow. I have never been able to discover where Margaret and George Renwick were born.

Re Hobkirk, Joseph Stephenson's father William Stephenson, my 5 x gt.grandfather, was tenant farmer at Longburnshiels in Hobkirk parish and died there in 1807.

So that explains my interest in Renwick and Hobkirk!

Harry

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 August 15 00:19 BST (UK) »
Harry, Unfortunatly my 3x great grandfather, George Renwick, was born in 1790 so that in 1803 he would have been about 13 years old and too young to read a will.  Keep looking though!  I know that the a James Renwick is the father of George but I can't find him either.