Author Topic: John Balne and Ellizabeth Boucher - origins  (Read 3674 times)

Offline trb0549

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Balne and Ellizabeth Boucher - origins
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 September 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
I think it's the John Balne who married Elizabeth Boucher that died in Bristol in 1766. If their son John is Mary Pinhorn's husband, he died in Poole in 1842.(My previous note I incorrectly put 1742).
I was able to get to the Geni link. It seems logical that John and Elizabeth Boucher Balne are the grandparents of John Humphrey Pinhorn & Vincent George Boucher Balne and the parents of John Balne that married Mary Pinhorn. I'd like to get more corroborating evidence though.
John & Mary Pinhorn Balne is as far back as my tree goes. I haven't found any James and Betty Balne documents. I usually don't attribute someone to my tree unless I've got more than one document that prove the relationship.
I've certainly got some good information from you here and Geni. I found a will for James and he is the brother of Giles Balne of Bristol. And I know it's the same because he mentions sons John & James and wife Betty.
Tom

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 September 15 05:51 BST (UK) »
I agree about preferring more documentation, but for me sometimes it's better to create a skeleton and recording what I have, until something better comes along or I have time to dig further (else I am liable to forget what I'd seen before). For me, the information given above by David is sound enough to link James, Betty and John.

I've added a brother Giles in the meantime - but are you able to share the source of this will, and/or confirm the date of death (or at least a "before" date)?

A quick look on FamilySearch "England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991" gives a Giles who died in 1763 in London (unlikely?) and this one in Somerset: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JZRT-TMV - in 1802. Is that too late?

[My attention is not fully on the Balnes at the moment because I'm chasing a trail on another branch - when I have time!]

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 September 15 09:15 BST (UK) »
A quick look on FamilySearch "England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991" gives a Giles who died in 1763 in London (unlikely?) and this one in Somerset: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JZRT-TMV - in 1802. Is that too late?

That one was at Englishcombe and aged 30.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01g3u/

David

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 September 15 10:24 BST (UK) »

That one was at Englishcombe and aged 30.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01g3u/

David

Thanks again, David.
The link didn't actually take me straight there (could be the cookies problem), but anyway I found him - and his marriage to Priscilla Cottle in 1797... Looks as if he's a likely descendant (all in the same general area), but I don't have time just now to work out how. There seems to be a number of later Giles Balnes too, worth investigating. I'll come back to it when I can.
 :)

Offline trb0549

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 September 15 00:19 BST (UK) »
The James Balne will I found on ancestry.com. It looks like it was made in DFecember 17, 1761 but proved on January 3, 1767. So he probably died December of 1766 in Bristol. The link is  http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?ssrc=pt_t74401858_p46490202234&srchb=r&gss=angs-g&rank=1&tid=74401858&pid=46490202234&gpid=&gsfn=John&gsln=Balne&msbdy=1736&msddy=1766&cp=0&cpxt=1&msrpn__ftp=Bristol%2c+Gloucester%2c+England&msgdy=1758&msgpn__ftp=St+Sephen%2c+Bristol%2c+Gloucester%2c+England&msfng=James&msfns=Balne&msmng=Betty&msbng0=James&msbns0=Balne&mssng0=Elizabeth&mssns0=Boucher&mscng0=John&mscns0=Balne&mscng1=Peter&mscns1=Balne&_83004003-n_xcl=f&MSAV=1&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=300375&recoff=6&db=CanturburyPrerogativeCourt&indiv=1&ml_rpos=13 . If you don't have a paid suibscription I'm not sure if you can view it.
 I'm not sure which Giles it is, there seems to be several. But I think yhe Giles from Bristol, 1742-1786, is the brother. But I also have a Giles 1752-1802 and 1777-1838. The last one I have married to Priscilla Cottle in 1797, Ann Cottle in 1800, and Hannah Howldon in 1813. And possible Martha Pounsford in 1798. They all married a Giles but maybe not the same one.
Temporarily I have moved my focus to other parts of my family. The Giles have gotten too confusing right now.
 Tom

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Coming back to this thread a couple of years down the track, and much further up the track ancestor-wise, I think we've probably hit the wall with the Somerset Balnes, but thought it worth one more try with the earliest ones found so far.

These are a couple called James Balne (c.1680-April 1716 - burial at Newton Saint Loe) and Mary (c.1680 based on childbearing years). The only other sources for this couple are as parents of their children, from Mary (1701), James, Giles, Sarah, Esther to Anne (1713) on baptism records.

Daughter Mary (1701) is the first Balne recorded in Newton St Loe in FreeReg; earlier ones are all in Wellow (about 6 miles away). The earliest Balne in Somerset is in Wellow in 1562, and searching the adjoining counties yields nothing at all (up until 1700 - I didn't look later).

The other Balnes are ALL around Snaith in Yorkshire, and I cannot spot a single James up there - and actually none at all in the 16th C on FreeReg - the earliest are 17th C. ???

I think that I've now exhausted all of the usual sources and a couple extra via Google and local Somerset sources, so probably venturing into the realms of speculation here, but I'm interested in any suggestions or opinions. I am now wondering whether the Yorkshire Balnes (pronounce Bawn, like the town https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balne) arose independently of and later than the Somerset Balnes (pronounced Ballin in my family line). Is it a coincidence that there were mineral baths at Askern (near Balne in Yorks) and Bath (near Wellow)? (Latin balneum.)

And any evidence of James' birth (perhaps in Wellow?) or his wife's surname would be a bonus. I have truly given up on this one now though, so not expecting much!