Author Topic: Help Identifying my Grandad's Medals WW2  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Trillian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help Identifying my Grandad's Medals WW2
« on: Wednesday 26 August 15 10:06 BST (UK) »
Can any one help with identifying one of my Grandad's medals. I've attached photos of the front and back. Apologies that they are a little blurry, it's the best I've got until I can visit the relative who has them.

The one I am interested in is the one with the dark blue ribbon. I know the other two are the 1939-1945 Star and the War Medal. If it helps, he was in the Royal Marines and served in the Pacific and Burma during WW2. He was on HMS Howe at some point, although I don't have the exact dates.
HUDSON - Derbyshire/Staffordshire; JOHNSON - Staffordshire; LEWIS - Lancashire/Staffordshire; HODGKINSON - Staffordshire
BOSTOCK - Derbyshire; DUNNING - Staffordshire; TATLOW - Derbyshire
GORRINGE - Sussex; GEARING - Sussex; WALTERS - Isle of Wight; WETHERICK - Isle of Wight

Travelling Through Family History - My family History Blog

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Medal Help
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

It is not a Military medal, it appears to be for a swimming event or a life saving award.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Medal Help
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm wondering if it's a sport's medal, I've had a few similar ones, football, cross country etc.

Frank.

Edited:Sorry genechaser post's must have crossed.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
Re: Help Idenifying my Grandads Medals WW2
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
No idea on the swimming one but the other two are the Pacific Star and the War Medal. Some info on them in the link below

http://www.rogersstudy.co.uk/medals/ww2_stars/stars.html#pacific

You may have some medals missing. Have you considered getting a copy of his service records?

Offline Trillian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help Identifying my Grandad's Medals WW2
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 17:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for everyone's input. I had thought about it being a sports medal but wan't sure.

You may have some medals missing. Have you considered getting a copy of his service records?

There's four medals in total: War Medal, Burma Star, 1939-1945 Star and the unknown 'swimming' one. Plus the Pacific Clasp which I believe was worn on the Burma Star in place of the Pacific Star (apparently they couldn't wear both stars due to uniform regulations or something - I need to look more into that).

I'm definitely going to look at getting his service records at some point - just piecing together what I already have at the moment.
HUDSON - Derbyshire/Staffordshire; JOHNSON - Staffordshire; LEWIS - Lancashire/Staffordshire; HODGKINSON - Staffordshire
BOSTOCK - Derbyshire; DUNNING - Staffordshire; TATLOW - Derbyshire
GORRINGE - Sussex; GEARING - Sussex; WALTERS - Isle of Wight; WETHERICK - Isle of Wight

Travelling Through Family History - My family History Blog

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
Re: Help Identifying my Grandad's Medals WW2
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 September 15 01:53 BST (UK) »
That would be correct about the stars - the servicemen and women were only entitled to earn a maximum of five. Those who qualified for more received a clasp to the riband, only one clasp to a riband being allowed.

The stars could carry the following clasps:

1939-45 - Battle of Britain
Atlantic - Air Crew Europe or France & Germany
Air Crew Europe - Atlantic or France & Germany
Africa - North Africa 1940-43 (Naval) or 8th Army or 1st Army
Pacific - Burma
Burma - Pacific
Italy - none
France & Germany - Atlantic or Air Crew Europe.

(taken from "The Observer's Book of British Awards and Medals" - Edward C Joslin)

Regarding the Pacific and Burma Stars: from http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/medals-decorations/wearing-medals/ww11medals

"Pacific Star and Burma Star

The Pacific Star and the Burma Star are alternative awards. Personnel, who by their service qualified for both the Pacific and the Burma Stars, will be awarded only the campaign star for which they first qualified. They will, however, be awarded a clasp to show that they rendered service which qualified for the second star."

Terms
Burma Star

Awarded for one day or more of operational service during the Burma campaign, between 11 December 1941 and 02 September 1945.

Terms

Pacific Star

The Star was awarded for one day or more of operational service in the Pacific between 08 December 1941 and 02 September 1945.

Re the swimming medal: it's quite possible this was a simple medal awarded to the winner or whatever, as I have a running medal from Sept 1943 which belonged to my father.