Author Topic: Duncan McGregor bn 1832 Lanarkshire  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Liverbird1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duncan McGregor bn 1832 Lanarkshire
« on: Wednesday 26 August 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
I have found on the 1851 census that Duncan was living with his brother Joseph McGregor (my 3rd Gt Grand father) and wife Agnes and their Son Duncan. All the dates of Joseph, Agnes and Duncan (son) match all I have already, so for me this is a big break through :D

So, looking for any information on Duncan bn 1832. I have baptism records that show that either Duncan & Joseph's parent are John and Jane Moody, although I can't find the baptism record for Joseph, if I can I can match :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan McGregor bn 1832 Lanarkshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can you clarify please - do you or don't you have baptism records?

I have baptism records that show that either Duncan & Joseph's parent are John and Jane Moody, although I can't find the baptism record for Joseph

If Joseph died from 1855 onwards - his death cert will show his parents names and mothers maiden name.  Same for Duncan

Can you post full 1851 details please as the only entry I can find was living with brother Daniel and wife Agnes but they did not have a son also called Duncan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Liverbird1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 August 15 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't have them, but because I found Joseph on the 1851 census with Duncan I traced him a little and there are a few options for parents, but for some reason I can't find any baptism for Joseph to tie with Duncan.

1851 census:

Joseph   McGregor   Head   Married   Male   36   1815   Wood Merchant   Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland   Transcription
Agnes   McGregor   Wife   Married   Female   25   1826   -   Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland   Transcription
Duncan   McGregor   Son   -   Male   3   1848   -   Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland   Transcription
Duncan   McGregor   Brother   -   Male   19   1832   Drapers Assistant   Lanarkshire, Scotland   Transcription
Helen   Stewart   Servant   Unmarried   Female   26   1825   House Servant   St Ninians, Stirlingshire, Scotland

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 August 15 11:35 BST (UK) »
Indexed as McGreger on Ancestry so have notified a correction.

Joseph Married Agnes Gillespie (Reid)  but pre-1855 so no parental names from their marriage cert

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTLS-DJC

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY7V-953

The 1841 census shows Duncan aged 8 with parents in Lanarkshire but no Joseph

1861 shows Duncan jnr aged 13 with Reid relatives
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 August 15 12:06 BST (UK) »
Which of the McGregors is your direct ancestor - Joseph or Duncan?

Offline Liverbird1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 August 15 13:24 BST (UK) »
Joseph is; but Duncan will now be a great source; if I can find Joseph's baptism details!

I'm going to search for McGregor variants next :) I will find him (I hope :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 August 15 17:29 BST (UK) »
Did Joseph die before or after 1855?

Offline Liverbird1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 15:47 BST (UK) »
Did Joseph die before or after 1855?

wish I knew :( Agnes was born in 1852, the last child that I know of

Offline Liverbird1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McGregor puzzle!
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 16:08 BST (UK) »
In search of my 3 Gt Grandfather Joseph McGregor bn 1814 (married Agnes Gilliepie Reid)

I did I bit of digging and found that Joseph's daughter Agnes Elizabeth bn 1853 Glasgow was living with cousins in the 1861  - James Weir bn 1840 and Isabella Weir bn 1838 & Isabella Jaap bn 1847 Peeblesshire.  Therefore Joseph must have had sisters, so I found the baptism records for the cousins - James & Isabella Weir have parents Jane(t) McGregor & James Weir.  Isabella Jaap parents Robert & Isabella McGregor.

So I searched for Jane(t), Isabella McGregor and parents turn up as John McGregor & Margaret Baxter, so I searched for Joseph but a year earlier than I first though 1814 and low and behold John & Margaret Baxter.  Could I be on the right track?  I was informed last week that another family member I don't know understood that their was an Isabella bn 1821 (poss the one married to Robert Jaap). 

There appears to be a brother Duncan - well according to the 1851 census with Joseph, wife and son (all their dates of births correct)- Brother Duncan bn 1832.  So thinking I could do the same looked for a baptism record, but doesnt tie in with Margaret Baxter, instead I have a John and Jane Moody; could John have remarried?  There is an age gap.

Oh I do wish this was easier