Author Topic: Born in Braan, Urray, R&C  (Read 8447 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Born in Braan, Urray, R&C
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 10:36 BST (UK) »
The Statutes of Iona I think Rena, eldest sons to be sent to the Lowlands to be educated. In effect hostages for the clans good behaviour.

Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Born in Braan, Urray, R&C
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 13:58 BST (UK) »
The Statutes of Iona I think Rena, eldest sons to be sent to the Lowlands to be educated. In effect hostages for the clans good behaviour.

Skoosh.

Thanks for the confirmation Skoosh.  Shocking wasn't it?   Probably not so bad if they went to live with kith and kin or old neighbours who have moved down south. 

I've come across quite a few young "visitors" in households.  I got quite lucky once when I came across a widowed Mrs J Jackson who cared for two ten year old Donald Mckenzies, one being her son and the other a visitor.  A bit more research showed she was the twice widowed daughter-in-law of Donald M'kenzie of Clyde Iron Works and the "Aunt Janet" who had reported the birth of Allan McKenzie Crum (named in favour of her late husband).  Her "visitor" was her nephew, son of Kenneth M'kenzie of Clyde Iron Works and later of New Cumnock.  Young 'visitor' Donald probably living near a "suitable" education establishment.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke