Author Topic: Born in Braan, Urray, R&C  (Read 8434 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Born in Braan, Urray, R&C
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 August 15 10:59 BST (UK) »
Rena,  Anderson's Polytechnic (The Tech) was the place for technical studies, students were much younger than today I think. It's now Strathclyde University.

As the 19th century wore on the craft guilds were overwhealmed by industrialisation and no longer regulated the trades. The Hammermen's Incorporation, like the others, became a charitable social club for toffs (still is) and members of the guild would be more likely to be ironmasters than blacksmiths. You have to become a burgess of the city before joining any of the guilds and although "Burgess Tickets" are occasionally presented to notable citizens, you can buy one at the taxi licensing office.   I think you're entitled to graze a cow on Glasgow Green but might have to train with the militia in case the Jacobites come back.  ;D

Your Mackenzie must have been a forgemaster, for hooks & chains, and The Mitchell would be your best bet.

http://www.tradeshouse.org.uk/

Yours Aye,

Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 August 15 16:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh for the Technical school explanation and the name.  It gives me something to work on concerning the 2nd half of the 19th century as to why Ken Mackenzie sent his young son Donald M'kenzie to live with relatives, namely his 10 year old cousin (also a Donald M'kenzie) in Glasgow, who was the child of the widow of Ken's older brother Allan Cameron M'kenzie.   As all children who passed exams for higher education when they were 10-11 years old are always published in the local Hull newspaper it's been relatively easy to find local information, but excepting for two of my grandfather's sisters, who were listed in the Glasgow Herald for passing their teaching exams, I haven't discovered any other Scottish educational background. 

As for the Crafts Guilds, I remember when I was chasing around for "Crum" information a few years ago reading more or less the same thing.  All things being equal the Thornliebank Crum branch (originated by an earlier John Crum & his wife Eliz Buchanan) should not have become members of any guild but it seems their two sons Jas & Alex walked into the meeting house as if they were actually members and brazened out anyone who questioned their right to be there.  Today when tots insist on having their own way we call it "Pester Power" and that seems to be the case with the Crum brothers lol

As for the M'kenzie forging company, there's not much online about them and having looked at the Mitchell catalogue it doesn't yet seem that they have anything, which is to be expected for such a small company.

Phew - cup of tea time I think.  Once again thank you very much for your thoughts, comments and look ups - I really am most appreciative.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 August 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
Rena,  the lassies at the teaching could have gone to Stow College and possibly the Mackenzie's could have traded under the Acme Forging Company or some such?

Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 August 15 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi again Skoosh.

I found the McKenzie block ad tackle company name in the Glasgow Post Office Directory and then once I'd found it I discovered there was a cross reference to the home address - so that sorted that out.

As for Ann McK Crum and her sister at the teaching college (in those days girls weren't admitted to university).  The original image I took had the academy's name on it altho' I can't find it in my computer but I've found a similar listing in the computer which includes her name and I've attached it. 
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 August 15 22:19 BST (UK) »
I still can't find the newspaper entry but here's her sister Jane McK Crum's school teaching assignment by the Board.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 August 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
This looks like The Free Church College,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Church_Training_College

Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 August 15 22:53 BST (UK) »
oo - thanks Skoosh, I thought the "Glasgow Free Church" was a parish district and hadn't realised it was an actual college.   

I don't know what the sisters taught, excepting I know one was a cookery teacher and as I found 21 year old sister Jessie Crum in the 1881 census at a small Dalleagles School in Ayrshire,  I'm assuming she was an infant school teacher.  Apparently one sister taught music and was the first woman to be appointed head of all music by the Glasgow Board.  As all the family played various instruments that could be true, however, I've started having doubts about her being in "my" family group as there was a Jessie Graham Crum mentioned quite a lot for playing an instrument from another branch of the Crum's.

Once again:  Ta ever so Skoosh
 Rena   

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 August 15 23:09 BST (UK) »
Obviously Free Kirk folk Rena, the church turned out its own ministers after it left the Church of Scotland, and built Trinity College here on the Woodlands Hill, with the three towers,

http://www.scotcities.com/westend/parkdistrict.htm

Skoosh

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 August 15 07:41 BST (UK) »
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)