Author Topic: BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" Derek Jacobi (WDYTYA Series 12 Episode 3)  (Read 24060 times)

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tonight's programme should be exploring a Huguenot connection, so with any luck we may get a few clues regarding how to proceed with that line of enquiry.

I have read it is quite an interesting episode, fingers crossed.  ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA - Derek Jacobi
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 August 15 19:03 BST (UK) »
I don't know who he is, but I'll be watching this, if I don't nod off.
They did the Huguenots in a previous series didn't they ....  and they're doing Frances de la Tour later in the series, who I think's also one. 
In the previous episode they explained what one was and traipsed round Ye Olde GraveYard.  It's a bunch of persecuted people (French Protestants), persecuted by religion, so they left. (Please excuse the technical terms there, I'm clearly well educated ..... to age 7).
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 August 15 19:15 BST (UK) »
I don't know who he is, but I'll be watching this, if I don't nod off.
They did the Huguenots in a previous series didn't they ....  and they're doing Frances de la Tour later in the series, who I think's also one. 
In the previous episode they explained what one was and traipsed round Ye Olde GraveYard.  It's a bunch of persecuted people (French Protestants), persecuted by religion, so they left. (Please excuse the technical terms there, I'm clearly well educated ..... to age 7).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Jacobi   Sir Derek  Jacobi  ,    English    actor

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 August 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
Ummmmm....... yes.

Derek Jacobi is an Actor.

I believe they have covered Huguenots before on WDYTYA but at that stage I was not paying sufficient attention as I had not found any in my researches, but I suspect I may have done now, and really would like to know how to find out for sure.

And yes, French Protestants of the 16th and 17th centuries. Largely Calvinist, the Huguenots suffered severe persecution at the hands of the Catholic majority, and many thousands emigrated from France, many stopping off in the Channel Islands I believe, but also arriving in England bringing with them marvellous skills in various industries.  The best known is silk weaving I think.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 August 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
Huguenot's well I have Huguenot blood so shall find this even more interesting.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 August 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
Definitely plenty of history there!! And very interesting, though I am not entirely sure I would feel confident assuming that level of interpretation in my researches!! :o

Just how did Msr De La Plain amass £80,000 I wonder?

I also wonder if my chap was amongst the 10% in William lll's army? And I wonder how I could find out?

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 August 15 22:05 BST (UK) »
At last! A good story and lots of very interesting genealogy finds, no jumping.... Other than to let the story unfold.

Thoroughly enjoyable.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 August 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
Ummmm

Armand Laplain married in 1846 and he was a whitesmith, illiterate, his father Joseph was said to be a Police Officer.

So in just over 100 years the family went from being Chaplin to the Duke if Devonshire to an illiterate whitesmith.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 August 15 22:26 BST (UK) »
I also wanted to know why this had happened and I was hoping it would have been covered in the programme. It would have been more interesting than finding out about his GG brother in law, which was the last 10 minutes or so.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*