Author Topic: BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" Derek Jacobi (WDYTYA Series 12 Episode 3)  (Read 24044 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BBC "WDYTYA" Series 12 Episode #3: Derek Jacobi
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 August 15 07:50 BST (UK) »
I thought he died a few months after his son was born and I'm sure they said there were no others he'd had in England.There nay have been sone in France.We also wondered whether one could be sure that Willuam was his son and not he son of his 25 year old wife after an affair.
Still a fantastic story ....very well done BUT Wish they found out why later generations were so poor.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 August 15 08:20 BST (UK) »
I really enjoyed this as I didn't know much about the Huguenots. But I so agree with everyone that we needed to know the human interest angle of 'riches to rags'.

And I was a little bit disappointed that at the end Derek Jacobi said
' So I am descended from admirable people'.  How sad he was so starstruck by all the titles and wealth.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 August 15 08:24 BST (UK) »
I really enjoyed this as I didn't know much about the Huguenots. But I so agree with everyone that we needed to know the human interest angle of 'riches to rags'.

And I was a little bit disappointed that at the end Derek Jacobi said
' So I am descended from admirable people'.  How sad he was so starstruck by all the titles and wealth.

Pat

I agree with everything you've said.

An interesting programme but my concentration drifted off at the end though. I remember the "donjon" at Loches - terrifying!

I learnt some new history by watching the programme which is always a good outcome. Well done BBC for all the detailed research.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 August 15 08:29 BST (UK) »
I thought he died a few months after his son was born and I'm sure they said there were no others he'd had in England.There nay have been sone in France.We also wondered whether one could be sure that Willuam was his son and not he son of his 25 year old wife after an affair.
Still a fantastic story ....very well done BUT Wish they found out why later generations were so poor.
Ringrose

This worried me as well, a man in his 70s who had been in prison for some years marries and produces a son immediately, OK possible but how likely?
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 August 15 08:33 BST (UK) »
Can someone tell me where that pie and mash shop is that instantly gives you your Gt Grandmother's birth certificate on entering?

I thought this was very interesting.   I also have riches to rags in two generations so I know it can happen - especially with big families.

I loved the suspense of how DJ was here if Joseph didn't marry which was solved at the end.  In a much smaller way I could relate to a lot of this because I have 'jumped' a couple of generations then found them on the way back which was what seemed to happen here.

Good research done by the BBC.  My favourite for a long time.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 August 15 08:39 BST (UK) »
One thing I will say in the programme's favour is that they used Sarah Wise as the East End expert, if you read any of her books she is the top person for East End history.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 August 15 08:45 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed it, i think we have to take in to account that this is a programme for entertainment not an Open University programme on Genealogy.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 28 August 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
I thought this was a really good episode. Showed that occasionally you can be lucky to find a record ( in this case the French Hospital record) that can take you back many generations. I don't think there is anything odd in the fact that some later descendents ended up poorer than others. I am sure this would be the same in most families over that number of generations. It also works the other way.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 28 August 15 09:15 BST (UK) »

A fascinating programme with lots of old records.........just how WDYTYA used to be!

I'm possibly biased as I'm a fan of Derek Jacobi.  ;)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk