Author Topic: BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" Derek Jacobi (WDYTYA Series 12 Episode 3)  (Read 24065 times)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: BBC "WDYTYA" Series 12 Episode #3: Derek Jacobi
« Reply #27 on: Friday 28 August 15 09:32 BST (UK) »

A fascinating programme with lots of old records.........just how WDYTYA used to be!

I'm possibly biased as I'm a fan of Derek Jacobi.  ;)

OK I might be biased as well, I can't stand him, he seams way to luvvie and false to me, everything seems to be an act.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 28 August 15 09:33 BST (UK) »
I thought he died a few months after his son was born and I'm sure they said there were no others he'd had in England.There nay have been sone in France.We also wondered whether one could be sure that Willuam was his son and not he son of his 25 year old wife after an affair.
Still a fantastic story ....very well done BUT Wish they found out why later generations were so poor.
Ringrose

This worried me as well, a man in his 70s who had been in prison for some years marries and produces a son immediately, OK possible but how likely?

It  look's like a marriage of convenience, she gets the money and he gets an heir. Whether the child was his is not relevant.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 28 August 15 09:51 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed it ... found it really interesting.
Helped me with my thoughts on my Guilliame or wotever William :) :)

Maybe if they dig Joseph up they will be able to prove a link to Derek... :) :) :)

anyway - yes I enjoyed it so thats good..

xin

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA - Derek Jacobi
« Reply #30 on: Friday 28 August 15 10:10 BST (UK) »
Had a v quick read of the will.  The Rev William left bequests in his will of well over £500.  He made the will in 1764 and died the following year.  £500+ was a lot of money in those days!

Rev William's Will was written 2 May 1752 not 1764.  This is why he only mentions four children all under the age of 21 years and Armand doesn't get a mention by name.  It was proven 4 March 1765 and can be viewed on ancestry.

I found the programme interesting, albeit I'm biased as I have several Huguenot/Walloon ancestors, although mine were all poor silk weavers. ;D

Mind you, the programme makers had quite a good head start on researching as there was, among others, a short piece written about Joseph in Volume 16 of the Huguenot Society's "Huguenot Families" publication from 2007!  Not very long but confirms that Rev William and his wife had seven children, those mentioned in his Will plus Armand and two younger children. 

According to the Huguenot Society publication of transcripts of the records of La Providence, the French Hospital, Hannah Sudbury nee Laplain was not the model resident as she was reprimanded on several occasions for rudeness and impertinance to members of staff and being absent on quite a few occasions. :-X  She only spent 10 years in the hospital and was told when she left the last time she wouldn't be allowed to return.  Interestingly the entry does mention that she did produce a number of documents to prove she was a descendant of Joseph, including various baptismal, marriage and burial certificates, and a couple of pedigrees of the family, one of which was apparently drawn up by her son.

As has already been said by others, its not that unusual for money to disappear within a couple of generations when large families are involved.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BBC "WDYTYA" Series 12 Episode 3: Derek Jacobi
« Reply #31 on: Friday 28 August 15 10:23 BST (UK) »
Enjoyed this much more than the previous programmes in this series.  Again I was amazed at the documents retrieved from so many generations ago, but there did seem to be a couple of generations missing in the middle that I would like to have more information about - why the move from Derby to London, for example?

Still not sure that I like the way this series seems to like to concentrate on one character (or in the last one two ).  Derek Jacobi's German paternal ancestors were dismissed in a sentence.  OK, so he apparently knew about them, but we didn't!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 28 August 15 14:50 BST (UK) »
I greatly enjoyed this programme - and I thought Jacobi's responses were appropriate, he was interested in that line, made it clear that there was some family knowledge right from the start, and it went on. He's a capable actor, but was merely reacting to information presented, and it was far enough from our time not, thank goodness, to provide a need for emotional teary reactions.

Perhaps a clue to where "the money" went may have been in the references to Chancery - "Bleak House" by Charles Dickens was the first I ever read on this, and when researching my main line I came upon some reference to Chancery, and it seems as if that could cause money to be tied up or vanish for ages, at the least.

It may have been nice to find out how the family fared, obviously they - or at least some of the family - went to Derbyshire because of the Ducal patronage, in later years, but it's only an hour in length - and can't cover everything. It was interesting, showed that "real" researchers had put in the legwork, and although I've not the slightest Huguenot ancestry, so it was all new to me, I felt I learned quite a bit.

This is far more in the spirit of WDYTYA?, and this series seems to have improved from a poor start. I do hope it continues with this sort of longer range hunt.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 28 August 15 16:55 BST (UK) »
William was born in 1709 I think and Joseph died in January 1710. William was baptised in the French chapel in Westminster on 28 May 1709 as the son of Joseph and Salome. So I would think it is highly likely he was Joseph's son. Joseph and Salome wed in July 1708 in Fish Street.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Clarkey500

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flag of Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 28 August 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
Best one of the 3 so far! I liked the fact they went back with records... well sort of! A bit more like real genealogy and the castle/prison was filmed well.

I would have preferred them tracing back to Joseph then finding out more about him. Rather than just going by what the record says, find out information on him, then see if their is a relation. As it's easy to go wrong by believing what people say!  ;)

But overall, definitely the most interesting of the 3.
Devon: Bibby, Bird, Chaplin, Davey, Littlejohns, Pope, Shire, Sloman, Tucker
Dorset: Gauler
Gloucestershire: Gauler
Hampshire: Kimber
London: Crump, Gauler
Middlesex: Crump
Monmouthshire: Brunt
Northumberland: Bibby
Somerset: Clarke, Dibble, Duddridge, Parsons, Pool, Poole, Shire, Silvester
Surrey: Clarke
Wiltshire: Gauler

GEDmatch (myself): A869547
GEDmatch (my maternal grandfather):A933749
GEDmatch (my maternal grandmother): NY7596565

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA - Derek Jacobi
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 29 August 15 00:46 BST (UK) »
It went straight back to about 1700 ... and abroad .... and I mentally switched off .... and then it ended.

I like disappearing granddads ... and what happened to them.

StanleyChesterton - you made me laugh  ;D ;D

However I liked this episode. I enjoyed the history and was impressed with the research that had obviously been done to make the programme.
I too would have liked to have learned more about the missing generations from Joseph de la Plaigne to the financially embarrassed Hannah Sudberry .

According to the Huguenot Society publication of transcripts of the records of La Providence, the French Hospital, Hannah Sudbury nee Laplain was not the model resident as she was reprimanded on several occasions for rudeness and impertinance to members of staff and being absent on quite a few occasions. :-X  She only spent 10 years in the hospital and was told when she left the last time she wouldn't be allowed to return   Interesting snippet of info smudwhisk

Looby :)