Author Topic: BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" Derek Jacobi (WDYTYA Series 12 Episode 3)  (Read 24030 times)

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: BBC "WDYTYA" Series 12 Episode 3: Derek Jacobi
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 22:51 BST (UK) »
I loved this episode. I too have Huguenot ancestors though sadly have not be able to track them back to France. It was nice to see Derek J's enthusiasm and joy at his discoveries. He seems like a lovely man as well as a brilliant actor.
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BBC "WDYTYA" Series 12 Episode 3: Derek Jacobi
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 23:00 BST (UK) »
Just don't ask him about Shakespeare  ;D
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Dawn1004

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" Derek Jacobi (WDYTYA Series 12 Episode 3)
« Reply #74 on: Friday 13 October 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry for coming into the thread extremely late, I think by several years!  ...but was wondering, did they happen to mention..

His mum was Daisy Masters
Her dad was Richard Russell Masters
His mum was Bessie Francis Toull
Was her mum Francis May Jackson?
And then who was her mum?

Or did the show centre on the other relatives?

I have tried to watch the episode online, but is only available to UK residents.

Thank you for any response.

Dawn

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" Derek Jacobi (WDYTYA Series 12 Episode 3)
« Reply #75 on: Friday 13 October 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
The programme concentrated on his French ancestry and I'm afraid I can't recall much else.

However, if you look at Wikipedia it gives his mother as Daisy Masters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Jacobi

====

WDYTYA:-  Actor Derek Jacobi grew up in Walthamstow, where his parents ran a market stall. But a clue in his mother's family tree hints at a more colourful past - his great-grandmother's name was Salome Laplain. Armed with this tantalising detail, Derek discovers that, far from being from humble roots as he had thought, he is in fact descended from a wealthy French Huguenot fleeing religious persecution in France - who had connections to Protestant royalty on this side of the channel.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke