Author Topic: Elizabeth (b abt 1863) and John KEEPING (b abt 1865) Jersey  (Read 4165 times)

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth (b abt 1863) and John KEEPING (b abt 1865) Jersey
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 August 15 17:19 BST (UK) »
My guess would be that Charles and Ann had parted company as he's also living with Elizabeth in 1901.
On the 1891 census there are 3 Charles Keepings born in Boldre,
Charles born 1829 and Emma
Charles born 1833 and Ann
Charles born 1838 and Charlotte

The 1871 has your Charles as 'Widr' but by 1881 he has married Ann Woodford and has another 6 children. They married in the December quarter of 1872. You may have noticed on the 1871 a Charles Keeping Woodford aged 5 months living with his grandmother Mary Woodford, so they jumped the gun a bit on that one!

I wouldn't be surprised to find that Mary Philips died in Jersey so I'll have a look in the indexes next week, it's even possible that they married there as well.

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 September 15 11:05 BST (UK) »
My guess would be that Charles and Ann had parted company as he's also living with Elizabeth in 1901.
On the 1891 census there are 3 Charles Keepings born in Boldre,
Charles born 1829 and Emma
Charles born 1833 and Ann
Charles born 1838 and Charlotte

The 1871 has your Charles as 'Widr' but by 1881 he has married Ann Woodford and has another 6 children. They married in the December quarter of 1872. You may have noticed on the 1871 a Charles Keeping Woodford aged 5 months living with his grandmother Mary Woodford, so they jumped the gun a bit on that one!

I wouldn't be surprised to find that Mary Philips died in Jersey so I'll have a look in the indexes next week, it's even possible that they married there as well.

Thank you :) That would be very helpful.  I haven't found a KEEPING/PHIL(L)IPS marriage in England or Wales so it does rather look as though they probably did marry there.

I hadn't found Charles Keeping WOODFORD because I haven't started on Ann's line yet. Thank you for that pointer :)

I've found 7 children for Charles and Ann.  I'm not sure if they are all the right ones though as a tree on Ancestry (always iffy) with differences.

I suspect the 3 Charles KEEPINGs b Boldre are all cousins to some degree.

Charles and Mary's dau married into an interesting family. Christopher Walland PLACE was the grandson of the Rev Christopher Wasse PLACE and Frances Growden JEFFERY, the youngest dau of John JEFFERY, Esq, MP for Poole, Dorset (according to The Atheneum).  There are also a couple of items in the National Archives about the Rev Place, one of which might have some bearing on why Christopher Walland was a labourer. 

Christopher's mother, Elizabeth (nee COURT), is given as being death from birth as is Mary, her dau.  Maybe it was an hereditary condition of some kind.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 September 15 18:13 BST (UK) »
I have found the marriage, it was on April 3rd 1860 and took place at St Helier Town Church

Charles Keeping, aged 26, bachelor, occupation Labourer, living in St Helier, born in Beaulieu Bail, Hampshire. Father Robert Keeping - Labourer
Mary Phillips, aged 24, spinster, no occupation, living in St Helier, born Bolder (Boldre) Hampshire. Father William Phillips - Farmer

The witnesses were John and Sarah Lowe. Charles was the only one that signed his own name.

As Mary was a servant in Beaulieu in 1851 it seems likely that she and Charles came to Jersey together. There is no death registered for Mary in Jersey but the one recorded in the Lymington district in 1868 looks to be a distinct possibility, the age is right.

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 September 15 00:14 BST (UK) »
I have found the marriage, it was on April 3rd 1860 and took place at St Helier Town Church

Charles Keeping, aged 26, bachelor, occupation Labourer, living in St Helier, born in Beaulieu Bail, Hampshire. Father Robert Keeping - Labourer
Mary Phillips, aged 24, spinster, no occupation, living in St Helier, born Bolder (Boldre) Hampshire. Father William Phillips - Farmer

The witnesses were John and Sarah Lowe. Charles was the only one that signed his own name.

As Mary was a servant in Beaulieu in 1851 it seems likely that she and Charles came to Jersey together. There is no death registered for Mary in Jersey but the one recorded in the Lymington district in 1868 looks to be a distinct possibility, the age is right.

Thank you very much.  That's excellent :)

That death does look good.  It fits the time scale well.