Author Topic: James thompson &Fanny Jane Carson  (Read 2711 times)

Offline tammiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James thompson &Fanny Jane Carson
« on: Friday 28 August 15 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi , I have a marriage certificate for my husbands grandfather ,it reads James thompson aged full 19, ( although he was really 16  ) living in Ballybay . A labourer ,his father was John Thompson , a Labourer.   His bride Fanny. Jane  Carson ,also from  Ballybay , there was no age or proffesion. It did say spinster. her father was John Carson , it did say pensioner. they were married on the 8 of August 1882 it say,s Castleblayney on the certificate. I know all about James but cannot find anything about Fanny ,her birth or her death ,she died before 1892 as James got remarried then . I know they had at least one child James . They might have gone to cookstown as this was were James was born and had family there . any help would be appreciated.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James thompson &Fanny Jane Carson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 August 15 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there, is your information from a church marriage?  If so, the civil marriage record might have more information on it, details are below, should you wish to send off to GRO Roscommon for a research/photocopy version (currently 4 euro):

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FYWM-WN1   
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FY7B-9PR

Offline tammiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 August 15 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi gaffe, yes it,s from a church record. I might send for them.  Thankyou for the idea.

Offline RWTaylor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 August 15 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi - Just seen your reply and hope we are looking at the same couple.  They were my great grand- parents on my mother's side.  They came from Co Monaghan to Glasgow where they had five children, three surviving to adulthood.  Both James and Fanny died in Scotland.  If you can provide me with your link, perhaps I can help more as I have Scottish certificates.  If not, it was good to talk to you. 

Offline tammiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 August 15 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I dont know whether it is the same people, Its my husbands grandfather . I will tell you all i know , it comes from my Brother in law who lives in Ballymena. Their Grandfather James Thompson was born in Cookstown , in 1892 he married Ellen White in Castleblayney, my brother in law got their Marriage Certificate and noticed it said James was a Widower.So Bill B in Law wrote to the church in BalllyBay and they sent a paper with these details James Thompson , age 19 but he was born in 1866 so he would have been 16, a Labourer his Fathers name was John which is correct and Fanny Jane Carson Father John A pensioner  . Do these details sound like yours ,  it could be the wrong james thompson for us  there was supposed to be a son called thomas but icannot find anything about him either.please if it is right or wrong just let me know,

Offline RWTaylor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 September 15 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi- This is the information I have which might be of help to you...

James Thompson born about 1864 in Ireland. On 8th August, 1882, he married Fanny Jane Carson in the Parish Church at Ballybay, Co Monaghan.  James's father was James Thompson and his mother was Fanny Armstrong.  James would die in Hamilton, Scotland on 23rd February 1907 aged 53.

Fanny Jane Carson was born about 1863 in Ireland her her father was John Carson, Army Pensioner, and mother Mary Jane Dickie. Fanny would die 11th December 1946 aged 83 in Irvine, Ayrshire, Scotland.

It seems that the couple went between Ireland and Scotland.

Their first child, Eliza Jane (known as Mary) was born 1st May 1884 in Rutherglen, Glasgow and she died 2nd October, 1948 aged 64 in Ayrshire.  She married on 13th April 1906 and had family of which I have details.

Their second child, William John was born in Ireland on 15th July, 1885.  William survived WW1 and married with family.  William died 17th September, 1947 aged 62 in Ayrshire, Scotland.

Their third child, James, was born in Ireland (Ballybay) about 1886.  He died on 29th September, 1900 aged 14 in Glasgow.

Fourth child, Frances Jane was born on 20th July 1888 in Glasgow.  She died 7th October, 1889 at 14 months.

Fifth child, Frances Jane, was born 1st February, 1890, in Glasgow.  She married on 12th July 1907.  She had no children.  At the age of 81, she died on 11th March 1971 in Glasgow.

I have certificates from ScotlandsPeople to cover the Scottish side and the few mentioned from Ireland.

Good Luck!

Offline tammiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 September 15 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your reply   Please see p message

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 September 15 20:10 BST (UK) »
It's lovely to see details posted which seems to be based on facts (birth, marriage & death certificates, etc.) but if information is sent by PM then it's inmpossible for those who have tried to help know what is really going on.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tammiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 September 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,  Thanks RWTAYLOR  IT IS definitley your Family .not my husbands Grandfather . A relative gave me the information saying James Thompson  married Fanny Jane Carson in BallyBay 8 8 1882.He had a Printout from the church in Ballybay back in 1990  . But it was the wrong James Thompson. I am glad i posted it Originally. Otherwise i would have gone on thinking it was correct.Back to the Drawing board to find out James ,s  First wife who died young .