Author Topic: Confusing case of two John hodgsons (I'm stumped)  (Read 5422 times)

Offline Emma Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Confusing case of two John hodgsons (I'm stumped)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 April 16 00:16 BST (UK) »
I have found a record of marriage between John Henry Fraser and France's Hodgson in 1900 in Lancaster where he is listed as a bachelor and she is listed as a widow!

If you pm your email I will send you an image.

Also do you have any information about Edward Hodgson's brothers either my relative John hodgson or James Hodgson? Or any information from further back or. George Hodgson?
Bowering-Lympsham
Shewring/Hale-Corston
Lewis-Stanton Upon Arrow
Adams-Abergavenny
Brookman-Bristol
Hughes-Gwnnws
Bonnor-Gwnnws
Millward-Pen Tyrch
Roberts-Llancynfelyn
Morgan-Llantrisant
Hodgson-Westmorland
Thomas-Pontypridd
Kingwell/Dymond-Devon

Offline sue miller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 April 16 16:35 BST (UK) »
Have just been checking records I have found (which isn't that much on my great great grandad John Hodgson)  Have located the first 3 chidren on the 1871 census,  Sarah aged 5,  Edward (my great grandad) aged 3,  and John  aged 1.   all at Lupton  all noted as children of agricultural labourer . They had all been born at Lupton.

By 1881 they where living in Hutton Roof  John Hodgson blacksmith is down as being born in Kirkby Lonsdale, aged 43,  his wife Elizabeth 44 born in Whittington Lancs.  Sarah 15, Edward 13, John 10  and George 8, are all down as being born in Lupton,  and Alice 6, born in Whittington,  then William 3, James 3 months and a grand daughter 1, all born at Hutton Roof. 

They are living at Lea Bank Hutton Roof on the 1891 census  with John as Blacksmith, Elizabeth his wife, My great grandad Edward a general labourer, George a blacksmith, William and James.

Maybe there were more blacksmiths there as during the   1870s and 1880s  there was a massive work going on in the area of Hutton Roof building reservoirs and pipelines to take the water to Manchester,  seems there was a lot of trouble in the area with drunkenness and brawling!  Google Navvies and the local community,  the experience of the Thirlmere Aqueduct in Westmorland and North Lancashire 1888-1893 .   

Offline Emma Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 April 16 17:59 BST (UK) »
I have the things mapped out as I see it but it's very difficult to post all on here for copyright reasons. I have a couple of marriage certificates

I have

George Hodgson (b 1806) m Mary Robinson (George was blacksmith, born in Carnforth, lancs)
They lived in lupton smithy Kirkby Lonsdale

Children were Alice (1836) , John (1838), Edward (1841), Mary Ann (1844), James Robinson (1845), Sarah (1848), William (1851), Michael  (1853)

Then the next generation, John 1838 married Elizabeth sewart, lived first in lupton (agricultural labourer) next door to George and Mary (parents) moving on to Hutton roof, worked as blacksmith and had the following children francis (1864), Sarah (1866), Mary (1866), Edward (1867), John (1870), George (1873), Alice (1875), William (1878), James (1881). Strangely when they moved to Hutton roof they are listed as having a granddaughter, aged 1, called Ann living with them, I assume she was an illegitimate daughter of their oldest daughter Mary or Sarah who was only 15 at the time. My grandmothers remembers both of these aunts.

Then my great grandpa John (1870) married Annie kingwell and worked as a navy around the country on the reservoirs ending up in Wales.

The other brother James (1881) married Annie kingwells sister Emily, two brothers marrying two sisters. He also worked as a navvy/labourer on reservoirs.

Your ancestor Edward (1867) I have as getting married to Frances stewardson when he was 30, having the two children you mentioned and being dead three years later as his wife is listed as being a widow at the time of her marriage to John Henry Fraser. I notice her son changed his surname to that of her second husband so perhaps that ties in with Edward having died.

Does that make sense? All corrections gratefully received
Bowering-Lympsham
Shewring/Hale-Corston
Lewis-Stanton Upon Arrow
Adams-Abergavenny
Brookman-Bristol
Hughes-Gwnnws
Bonnor-Gwnnws
Millward-Pen Tyrch
Roberts-Llancynfelyn
Morgan-Llantrisant
Hodgson-Westmorland
Thomas-Pontypridd
Kingwell/Dymond-Devon

Offline sue miller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 April 16 18:35 BST (UK) »
so that makes us cousins if your great grandad and mine were brothers,  not sure what you should put on here but I live on the Wirral, England,   My story gets even more complicated,  Frances Stewardson went to Lancaster with John Henry Fraser,  don't know if she moved there with Edward and then he died,  or whether she went with john Henry,  If you know of the death record for Edward, I would be grateful,  I can see an Edward dies in Lancaster in quarter J/A/S/ 1901,   or an Edward dies November 1902 with a burial at Morland Eden District,    Frances is on the census 1901 as John's wife! which she wasn't until 1903,  and they had changed my grandads name to James H. Fraser and not his own John James Hodgson,   In 1901 she had a child to John called Thomas Harold,  a Boris in 1904, who seems to have died,  then Alice in 1907,  She had already left her's and Edward's daughter Elizabeth in Whittington Lancs with her mother Elizabeth Stewardson and never went back for her.  Then she left my grandad alone in Lancaster aged about 14,  and she went to Australia with John, Harold and Alice !   When she got there she then left everyone and completely disappeared and no-one could find her again.  I am in touch with the descendants of Harold in Australia,  So I had no family knowledge passed down to go on, only what I have been able to find out myself,  So if you know about Edward I would be grateful.

Offline Emma Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 April 16 18:48 BST (UK) »
I have sent you a personal message with my email so I can show you what I have found
Bowering-Lympsham
Shewring/Hale-Corston
Lewis-Stanton Upon Arrow
Adams-Abergavenny
Brookman-Bristol
Hughes-Gwnnws
Bonnor-Gwnnws
Millward-Pen Tyrch
Roberts-Llancynfelyn
Morgan-Llantrisant
Hodgson-Westmorland
Thomas-Pontypridd
Kingwell/Dymond-Devon

Offline sue miller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 April 16 19:06 BST (UK) »
Meant to say thanks for all that information about George and Mary,  their children etc etc,  I now see that you put Frances' wedding in Lancaster in 1900 and she as a widow,  the entry I found was 1903 wonder which it is?  meant to say also that Edward and Frances' daughter Elizabeth Jane Hodgson emigrated to Canada in 1914 aged 15,  with her Stewardson cousin.    great to have made contact with you as you are answering all the questions I have been searching for!  Wish I could give you some info that you need.