Author Topic: Shorthorn milking cows  (Read 2283 times)

Offline shaigh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shorthorn milking cows
« on: Saturday 29 August 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
Anyone know anything about the origin of shorthorns in the Waikato?  I know they were there by about 1866 when Wm Russell brought in 6 from Auckland and set up a milk round. The first ones in NZ were from Australia 1814 via Samuel Marsden Missionary in the Bay of Islands.  It seems they were well established by 1840s.

Offline alamar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Shorthorn milking cows
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 August 15 02:11 BST (UK) »
Shaigh, I think I can safely say that what you already know on this issue is more than the rest of us put together. Suggest you ask our two agricultural universities, Lincoln or Massey.

Alan
Living in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Shorthorn milking cows
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 September 15 21:32 BST (UK) »
Greetings Sue, from the Waikato.

My 14 year old computer is having issues with dial-up on very poor country telephone wires, continually interfered with by our numerous electric fence shorts so is dropping out. I'm checking email through family member cell phones so not really able to look up contact details, but if I was asking your question the first place I would be going is the Breed Societies. I believe there is still a SHORTHORN one on the go. Interested parties there should be able to advise you of past publications about your selected breed, and give you the pedigrees of named animals.

Some very expensive bulls were imported into the Waikato by the pioneers. I believe I have information about one on my WOODLANDS research file of several hundred pages.

The Kainui district Stoke's family near Taupiri, were the family that I last saw exhibiting SHORTHORNS. Agricultural & Pastural Show secretaries would also have breed society contacts.

- Alan
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.