Author Topic: Home Child: Walter Claydon  (Read 4445 times)

Offline Shari Handley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Home Child: Walter Claydon
« on: Saturday 29 August 15 11:51 BST (UK) »
There seems to be so many knowledgeable and helpful people here, I'm hoping someone can help me find my lost grand uncle, Walter Claydon.

Walter was born in 1904 in Marylebone, London area. I've found him several times with his mother (Annie [Sullivan] Claydon) and brothers Daniel (my grandfather) and James, having been admitted to the Northumberland Street workhouse.  According to the Catholic Children's Society (Westminster) records, Annie died, and their father (George Claydon) had previously abandoned them. Therefore, they were admitted to St. Vincent's, Mill Hill, London in 1912. In 1913, James and Daniel were sent to Canada aboard the Corsican - James being sent to the farm of Michael Loftus in Ellaton, Norfork County, Ontario, and Daniel to the farm of Alex D. St. Louis in a French-speaking enclave of Tecumseh, Essex County, Ontario.

Young Walter was sent to Canada the following year, 1914, aboard the SS Victorian at age 9.  He was sent to the farm of Dosithe Denault in LaPrairie, Quebec, and seems to have been re-homed with the family of Thomas Morrissey in Victoria, Emily Township, Ontario. At some point, he returned to Quebec, where he shows up in multiple voter lists as a journeyman living with wife Elsa in Montreal. The most recent listing was from 1957.

From there, he and Elsa seem to have dropped off the edge of the earth.  I would dearly love to find out what became of him, where he's buried, whether he had any children, etc.

Thank you all!

Shari Handley
Armada, Michigan

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Home Child: Walter Claydon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 August 15 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Shari,

Have you looked at the Catholic church records (Drouin) for your ancestors? These are in Ancestry - not sure which dates they cover up to though. If you know the location where they lived you may want to contact the local library and family history group. The Province of Quebec Archives may have info as well - land/property, business records and such.

Hope this helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 August 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
Drouin Colection Covers 1621 - 1968 Walter and Elsa do not appear to be listed. No burial listed at Notre-Dame - Des Neiges.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Shari,
            It might be useful to add his name to the RootsChat BHC database, to join his brothers. You certainly have enough information as a start and it might catch someone's eye via the search engines there.

alanmack (data co-ordinator, BHC database)

Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hello, Shari...Was he listed as in the city of Montreal? At what address were they listed in 1957 ?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ

Canada Voters List - Walter Claydon (occupation - Litter) and Elsa Claydon  - Montreal -  Jacques-Cartier-Lasalle  - 1953 - 768   144 eme avenue. (also Don Evans - aviation at the same address)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 22:10 BST (UK) »
hello Sandra!!1Might have been "fitter" as in 1954/55/56 directory has a Walter occ: assembler dominion bridge in Lachine living 768 14th avenue
using reverse lookup, I can't find this number in 1957...Thought I might trace them that way... no time to look for any more right now

http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 February 16 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Too bad you never answered the postings Shari...as I wasn't notified & forgot to keep working on this thread...
A clue to a child...1948 Has a "Miss E" ( see image) occ: steno living with Walter Claydon employed at Dom Bridge -living 1682 Piche ( Lachine )

Offline Janibou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 April 16 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Shari!
I am Walter Claydon's granddaughter. I knew he was a home child who came to Canada as a 9 yr old in 1914 but never knew much about his parents and siblings. He passed away when I was a young child but his daughter, Ethel (my mom) is still alive. She's 86 now and still going strong. I've heard only bits and pieces of his life but will be seeing my mom later today and will fill her in on your search.
You have done amazing research already and I an so thrilled to have found this link and this info on Walter and his family.
I only started to look into this last night when I read an online news article on CTV news Montreal and a link to a lecture on Home Children today at a Montreal Library.
Hope to connect with you to further discuss our Grandfathers :)
Janice Murphy-Bouttell
Kirkland, Quebec