Author Topic: Luke Jones, Wombourn  (Read 1188 times)

Offline EmilyTillett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Luke Jones, Wombourn
« on: Saturday 29 August 15 16:33 BST (UK) »
Dear All,
I am looking for information about a Luke Jones who was visiting the family 'Blewitt' in the 1851 census.
William Blewitt and his family were living in 'The Bratch, Orton, Wombourn' and Luke is listed as a 'visitor' and is abt 82 years old, is a retired farmer and was born in Wombourn.
William's wife is Elizabeth nee Jones (she died in 1849) and I can't find any details of her birth other than that she was born in abt 1791 possibly in Wombourn.
The dates suggest that Luke may have been her father.
What is frustrating me is that I can't find any records for Luke nor a birth record for Elizabeth.
Any help would be wonderful.
Emily :)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Luke Jones, Wombourn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 15 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

I cant see any baptism for Luke in the Wombourn registers. However there is a baptism in 1768 in the Presbyterian Church Dudley about 5 miles from Wombourne which maybe worth a look at.

Luke Jones bapt. 28 May 1768, parents John and Rebekah

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 August 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
The Marriage of William BLUETT and Elizabeth JONES 1809 is on FreeREG.
There is a License
Witnesses William/Hannah Jones

Not sure how you would get the License (others will know) as if you think she is born c 1791 should would be underage in 1809 so extra info may be on it.

William JONES May have married Hannah BLUETT 5 April 1804 same Church

Aaah; Elizabeth BLEWITT Burial 23 Jan 1849 has her as age 61 (birth c 1788)

It may be worth trying to track down William/Hannah Jones on 1851 Census to see where William was born.
He may be a Brother of Elizabeth Jones.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 August 15 08:29 BST (UK) »
As I understand it the legal minimum age for marriage was increased to 16 years in the Act of 1929.  Persons under 18 could, I believe, be married with parental consent.  There must, surely, be many examples of "shotgun" weddings involving minors.
Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.

Offline EmilyTillett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 August 15 16:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you everybody for your help  :)

I found the marriage of Hannah and William so I will now pursue the 1851 census.

The baptism of Luke is also incredibly helpful; I hadn't thought of looking at the Presbyterian church records.

Emily.