Author Topic: Married at 15 & 3 children by 18  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
  • Fairlie- The convict ship Michael Noy travelled on
    • View Profile
Married at 15 & 3 children by 18
« on: Sunday 30 August 15 00:13 BST (UK) »
I have come across one of my ancestors who married at 15 (her husband was 26) and had had 3 children by the time she was 18. Years are roughly 1844- 1847. How common is this? Do any of you have ancestors marrying and giving birth so young?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Married at 15 & 3 children by 18
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 August 15 00:35 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is not unusual.   In NSW Australia, there's many instances in the years you cite where the bride was younger than 15.   These  NSW brides were not yet old enough to give consent to their own marriages and so the parish register should note the name of the person giving consent (the clergy could not marry without such), and their relationship to the bride (or groom).   They needed to be at least 21 years of age before they could give their own consent which is signified by their signature (or mark) on the parish register. 

NSW BDM has an interesting marriage certificate displayed on their website.  The bride was aged 11, and the year was 1924.   

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Documents/m1924-3913.pdf

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 August 15 00:52 BST (UK) »
My husband's g.grandmother married at 15, although her marriage cert gives her age as 18.  She married in August 1867 and her first child was baptised on 3 Jan 1869, so presumably born December 1868, as she wasn't pregnant when she married (unless she had a miscarriage), I wonder why she married at 15.  She had 4 children with a gap of 2 years between each of them.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 August 15 01:06 BST (UK) »
13 yr old ancestor on my sons side  :(

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/878784?
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 August 15 05:27 BST (UK) »
They were all so young..

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 August 15 07:54 BST (UK) »
In England & Wales from 1660 until 1929 the age of marriage was set at 14 for the groom and 12 for the bride with the age of consent to marriage being generall accepted as 7 years old (though it could be younger if the child showed comprehension of what it involved).
This situation remained until 1929.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 August 15 08:38 BST (UK) »
According to an old Office of National Statistics database the figures for marriage below the age of 16 from 1846 to when the 1929 Act came into effect are 35 males and 1,844 females.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 August 15 09:19 BST (UK) »
Looks like it was a common 'practice' at this point in time!

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 August 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
From The Marriage Law of England 1873.
Sect.4. – Want of Sufficient Age.
The age of legal capacity to marry in England is fixed at 14 years in males and 12 in females; and no persons are capable of binding themselves in marriage until they have attained that age, which is termed the age of consent. Our law agrees in this respect with the civil law, which required that the parties should be of the age of puberty, namely, 14 if male, and 12 if female – a period much earlier than that at which marriage can in any case be prudent or desirable. Derived from the south of Europe, it rests upon the principle that marriage ought not to be made impossible by law between those who are capable by nature of being the parents of children.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk