Author Topic: Cornwell  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Toni Cornwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cornwell
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 20:31 BST (UK) »
hi, the Harvey cornwell you are talking about is my great granddad (my granddad and dad are also Harvey cornwell) and I just read out the post to my dad and he said it wasn't his granddad who had a furniture shop on Newmarket road that was coopers who are still there, he said his main ones were in burleigh street and he never had a shop in mill road it was my granddad,my dads dad who set up the shops in mill road and then my dad took over them. I don't know if this helps anything. my dad is Harvey Reginald cornwell and my granddad was Harvey Samuel cornwell.
if anyone wants to know anything relating to them I can try to help or ask my dad :)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
I am not related to the Cornwell family but when I was a child I often went to Catlins Auctions Rooms in Corn Exchange Street with my mother and remember a father (Harvey Cornwell) and son there.  I expect that would have been around the mid 1950's.  I think the auctioneers name was Britain.  Perhaps your Dad remembers the place - long gone!

Years later I would look around the shop in Mill Road when I was up that way but I don't recall the one in Burleigh Street.

Several furniture and antique dealers were always at Catlins - one called Charlie often had a tin with a sweet in it for me - he had a shop near New Square.  All nice people.

As you say Coopers was the one on Newmarket Road and is still there.

Regards,
Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 16:46 BST (UK) »
I think Selina that probably makes you unique as the only person of Cambridge origin who is NOT a relative of the Ayres/Cornwell clan! However, the usage of surnames as Christian names seems to be quite frequent in the clan, as does the name Samuel which was my grandfather's name (and one of mine). Surnames Harvey, Stuben (Stubbing) are often used through several generations. On a personal note I found out that the name Melinda was traditionally given to the first girl born in each generation, after I had omitted to have my daughter so named. I was sent to the dog house believe it or not. No Melinda in the next generation.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 September 16 09:31 BST (UK) »
Toni Martine,

Welcome to Rootschat. Many thanks for sorting out the respective branches of your family's furniture businesses in Cambridge over the generations. I was positive that I recalled a CORNWELL premises in Newmarket Road at one time. It just goes to show how unreliable memories can be. Thanks again for your post.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.