Author Topic: Francis & Mary Ann Smith (Nee' Spink), Vanished after Marriage!  (Read 2332 times)

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Francis & Mary Ann Smith (Nee' Spink), Vanished after Marriage!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 September 15 23:39 BST (UK) »
It's been suggested to you they emigrated - and I've seen this in my tree.  I was super-lucky though.....

I found a 19 year old girl who got married right before Xmas and then emigrated to Aus.  I did feel very sorry for her, being dragged half way round the world at her age.... but I didn't have to go looking for her to discover her fate because when I googled her name up popped a Trove.au article where the newspapers had visited/interviewed her as she'd gone on to live to 84 and the article gave her whole life story, so I knew what'd happened.  She eventually died aged 91.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/168169228

They'd said where she came from, who she'd married, when she'd arrived, and everything - so I had the full life story delivered on a plate.  Without that I'd have simply left her on the chart as (DISAPPEARED) as some people aren't of as much interest as others and they were my GG-grandmother's brother/his wife (13 children, so a lot of brothers/wives and associated people on the tree)

You needed to be married to get into the programmes of emigration probably - and for your families to let you go traipsing around to new countries, and probably the new countries wanted nice/married/solid people.  So you'd get a marriage, followed by a disappearance.

Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: Francis & Mary Ann Smith (Nee' Spink), Vanished after Marriage!
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 September 15 23:43 BST (UK) »
You needed to be married to get into the programmes of emigration probably - and for your families to let you go traipsing around to new countries, and probably the new countries wanted nice/married/solid people.  So you'd get a marriage, followed by a disappearance.

Definitely not - lots of young women arrived on 'bride ships' to try to even up the genders in the colony.  Don't know about America though.

But that's getting away from the topic, as David's people were married.   ;)

Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.