Author Topic: Minnigaff  (Read 3465 times)

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Minnigaff
« on: Sunday 30 August 15 19:46 BST (UK) »
I have bought credits on Scotlands People looking for a birth for a Anthony Hewitson - about 1853.
Father also Anthony - mother Rosanna McGinnes(many variation of spellings for her with her other children)  no marriage found for this couple.  According to census he was born Minnigaff/Dalbeattie in Kirkcudbrightshire

Six of his siblings born before Anthony  - I found but Anthony and the next brother Hugh (drowned in River Tweed - think he'd been on the "sherbet"  I have been unable to find their births. The next sibling Elizabeth I also found - Minnigaff.

I have Anthony's death certificate -died 1891 age 37 years so born 1853/4 fits.

Grateful for any assistance

Michele

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Minnigaff
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle

the years between 1843 and 1854 can be quite difficult. the breakaway Free Church was formed in 1843 and caused widespread disruption. Many ministers, Clerks, Congregations left the Church of Scotland. Yours may have been in the Free Church, Penninghame and Minnigaff don't seem to have a baptismal register surviving but there is a list of members  from 1843. Newton Stewart Relief church began in 1791, another possibility worth searching.

Ian McClumpha

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Minnigaff
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 07:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ian -  the information on the years 1843-1854 I was not aware of.    This could be the reason I am having difficulty.

The first sibling was born 24 September 1840 and the next 1843 -  would love to find a marriage -  what is strange is I cannot find Rosanna McGinnes (Hewitson)'s death - found the husband and most of the children.    Could the name of Rosanna McGinnes not be her real name and if she never married was she buried with her real name.   I have been on this for many years -  did find some of the children in Liverpool and I know Rosanna went their for a time but the family understand she returned to Kirkcudbrightshore - either way she vanished after 1891 - the last time found on any census.   Thanks for the info on the registers though -  I wont beat myself up for not finding them.