Author Topic: Michael John O'Brien (1915-1940)  (Read 6413 times)

Offline Fanflame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Michael John O'Brien (1915-1940)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 13:40 BST (UK) »
There's a birth here that might be relevant
Michael John O'Brien
Date of Registration:   Apr-May-Jun 1915
Registration district:   Wexford
Volume:   4
Page:   639
FHL Film Number:   101076

I am unsure of the areas covered by Irish Registration Districts. THe birth cert would give the mother's name and maiden name.

Margaret

Thanks Margaret,

Wexford is certainly in Ireland and the dates tie up but his Birth Cert doesn't exist. I have a copy of a declaration his father made on 10th June 1930 solemnising that he was born on 27th April 1915 in Stradbally Co. if that helps...

Many thanks
Edgeley, Edgley, Dwight, Holloway, Pinnegar, Clark

Offline Fanflame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 13:41 BST (UK) »
Have a look here for information about the Clacton Lifeboat http://www.clactonlifeboat.org.uk/lifeboat_pages/lifeboat_history.htm you might try contacting them to see what they know about Michael O'Brien senior.

Margaret

Thanks for the link...

Offline Margaret March

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 13:48 BST (UK) »
Here's the marriage for parents

MICHAEL OBRIEN
Party 2 Name   CATHERINE RYAN
Date of Event   27 December 1906
Group Registration ID   2063379
SR District/Reg Area   Middleton

I think you have to apply to Dublin for the certificate.

The fact of a declaration of birth at some stage does not mean there wasn't a birth registration just that they didn't have the certificate to show or know how to get one.

Margaret

Offline Fanflame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 14:04 BST (UK) »
Here's the marriage for parents

MICHAEL OBRIEN
Party 2 Name   CATHERINE RYAN
Date of Event   27 December 1906
Group Registration ID   2063379
SR District/Reg Area   Middleton

I think you have to apply to Dublin for the certificate.

The fact of a declaration of birth at some stage does not mean there wasn't a birth registration just that they didn't have the certificate to show or know how to get one.

Margaret

Thanks again for the information - you guys certainly know your stuff! Midleton, Co Cork ..er! Goodness the world is a small place! I wonder what made them move away from such a beautiful place and go to Clacton!? Work maybe...

Every blessing.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 14:11 BST (UK) »

... Midleton, Co Cork ..er! Goodness the world is a small place! I wonder what made them move away from such a beautiful place and go to Clacton!?

I identified Michael O'Brien and Catherine Ryan as the parents in my previous post (reply #13), I'm not sure how this marriage fits in, can Margaret March clarify?  :) 

Offline Margaret March

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 14:33 BST (UK) »

... Midleton, Co Cork ..er! Goodness the world is a small place! I wonder what made them move away from such a beautiful place and go to Clacton!?

I identified Michael O'Brien and Catherine Ryan as the parents in my previous post (reply #13), I'm not sure how this marriage fits in, can Margaret March clarify?  :)

Well - it's a marriage for a Michael O'Brien to a Catherine Ryan!

Margaret

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 13:02 BST (UK) »
Just a couple of things.
 Michael John O'Brien first went to sea  as a Deck Boy on 7/3/1932 aboard the vessel TEMPLE LANE official number 160483. His unique Discharge A number was R104461. He gives DOB as 24/4/1915 in Bonmarne Co. Waterford. His last vessel was BEAVERFORD o/n 149983.

The  last logbook and crew agreement of BEAVERFORD is available from here

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11026717

These documents may or may not give you personal details about your man, usually Next of Kin, last known address, previous vessel etc. It may pay you to look at logbooks and crew agreements of his previous vessels. Search via ships official number. Most, but not all, Logbooks and crew agreements 1932-1939 are stored here

https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/searchcombinedcrews.php

LB's and CA's for TEMPLE LANE 1932
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2481542

His medal listing is available to download from here.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_st=adv&_ep=r%20104461&_cr1=bt&_dss=range&_ro=any
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Fanflame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 13:40 BST (UK) »
Seaweed,

Many thanks for the links and information you have provided! I shall go and have a look at these although it is probably a bit more information than I require.

what has really blessed me though is the quality of replies and help that people are willing to give. This is trendous! Goodness medal listing as well, didn't know he had any of those and there is nothing in the documents I have from my Aunt about medals. However I have come across a photo taken by a daily newspaper after a ship he was on was torpedoed and he was rescued. He just happened to be in the picture so this cutting was given to my aunt the day after the sinking/rescue. All very interesting.

THanks again!

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 14:24 BST (UK) »

Goodness medal listing as well, didn't know he had any of those and there is nothing in the documents I have from my Aunt about medals.

I don't know if his medals were ever claimed. If they were not and you would like to claim them on his behalf, just drop me a PM and I will endeavour to explain the procedure for claiming them.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022