Author Topic: Wilson from Mochrum  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Patsy1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilson from Mochrum
« on: Tuesday 01 September 15 00:05 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with tracing Archibald Wilson who married Jane Mcnaught or McKnight in Rerrick in1825.  The 1841 census shows him at West cairgaan farm.  He might have been born 1798. But that puts the age on the 1841 census out which shows him as 35.  I am thinking he might have emigrated with his family as he had been a farm labourer. I have checked census and death records to no avail.  His son  Alexander born 1832 ish and who is my relative is shown as married at portpatrick to Amelia McWaters in 1851 so if the rest of the family left, he didn't. 

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson from Mochrum
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Patsy and welcome to Rootschat,

I had a look at the family in 1841 and then discovered another birth on Familysearch
for a John Wilson to Archibald Wilson and Jean McKnight . The birth is 30th June 1843 and the christening is 24th Jul 1843 at Leswalt, Wigtowshire. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY99-DS9

That led me to find this wee family on the 1851 Census at South Crescent, Portpatrick
WILSON   Jane   Head   W   F   45   Seamstress    Kirkcudbrightshire Kelton       
WILSON   Jane   Dau    F   14   Seamstress    Wigtownshire Kirkcolm       
WILSON   John   Son     M   7   Scholar At Home    Wigtownshire Leswalt   

Above Jane Wilson is widowed, her age fits with the Jean Wilson from West Cairgaan Farm on the 1841. That Jean is recorded as living outside Census County - Jane Wilson above is born in Kelton Kirkcudbrightshire. Plus young daughter Jane age 5 in 1841 / daughter Jane aged 14 in 1851.
I wonder if this is Alexander's mother and siblings?

Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 01:27 BST (UK) »
Just realised Patsy - This Jane Wilson is also on the 1861 Census still at Portpatrick.
She is at 2 Colonel Street with some of her family.
   Jane Wilson          Head   W   F   55   Flowerer    Kirkcudbrightshire - Kelton    3 rooms   
   Archibald Wilson     Son   M   M   25   Dock Labourer    Wigtownshire  Kirkcolm       
   Elizabeth  Wilson     Daulaw   M   F   24       Wigtownshire  Portpatrick       
   Jane Wilson             Dau   U   F   23       Wigtownshire  Kirkcolm       
  John  Wilson             Son   U   M   17   Railway Labourer    Wigtownshire Leswalt       
   Mary Wilson          Grndau       F   5       Wigtownshire Portpatrick       
   John Wilson           Grnson       M   3       Wigtownshire  Portpatrick       
    Alexander Wilson   Grnson      M   10m       Wigtownshire Portpatrick     

I think with son Archibald recorded with her that she is a good match with Jean Wilson/ McKnight from 1841.
Husband Archibald must have died at some point between late 1842 and the Census of 1851. There may be no death record to find unfortunately.

Offline Patsy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi looby loo ayr and thank you very much.  That has saved me hours of search.  So archibald died rather than emigrated!  My ancestor alexander, his son  is shown on 1851 census at 6 colonel street so you are right .  Re archibalds age, there is a birth in 1798.. and his parents first names are reflected in the names of his children.  Would it be possible do you think for the 1841 census to have got his age out by 8 years.  35 on census rather than 43? I know they rounded down to 5 years.  Thanks again

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 08:31 BST (UK) »
Morning Patsy,

Yes I think it's perfectly possible for Archibald's age to be out by as much as 8 years on the 1841 Census.
Because people were asked to round down to nearest 5 or 0 , I tend to think some people got confused. In my experience 1841 Census ages can be a bit all over the place!
Also the information recorded is only as reliable as the memory/knowledge of the person who provided it to the enumerator who knocked on their door.
Lastly I think in an era where people had no birth certs, had little schooling and worked from a very young age, some folk forgot or didn't know when they were born. :-\

I take it the 1798 Archibald you refer to is the christening record of an Archibald Wilson at Old Luce with parents James Wilson and Martha McBryde?

Looby

Offline Patsy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 08:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks again.  Yes it is that archibald.  I think its him despite the age difference for the good reasons you have given.  Quite exciting to get back to 1798.  You have been very helpful. 

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 09:11 BST (UK) »
No problem  :D

Know what you mean about breaking the 1800 barrier  ;D
I  think this is a good chance that this is your Archibald. He named his first son James which could be after his father and he had a daughter called Martha.(no 3 by the looks of things).

Have you looked at the Old Parish Record on Scotlands People of the marriage in 1825 between Archibald Wilson and Jean McNaught at Rerrick, Kirkcudbrightshire? It may give you no extra information unfortunately but then again there could be a wee nugget of gold- like a place name for the groom or the Parish where he came from. Might help confirm Archibald's origins. I stress might  :)

Offline Patsy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes I did look at the marriage entry. .  Says he is from Mochrum but i think that doesnt necessarily mean he was born there.  Mmm or would it?   Mochrum and old luce aren't a million  miles away anyway.  I might claim him and look a bit more at his parents.. You have saved me time and money so thanks again.