Author Topic: Look up request - Tyne and Wear archives please  (Read 2038 times)

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up request - Tyne and Wear archives please
« on: Tuesday 01 September 15 11:08 BST (UK) »
Would anybody be able to do me a massive favour and look up 3 x baptism details and 2 x cemetery details.
Baptism 1. Charles McDonald 15th January 1879 at St. Mary's Clayton Street Newcastle
Baptism 2 Rose McDonald 16 January 1881 - church as above
Baptism 3 James McDonald ? 1884                     "
The most important information I need is godparent's names

Cemetary details 1. Richard Bernard Dowling died 27/9/1950. Last address 93 Elliott Terrace, Newcastle. He was Roman Catholic.
Cemetery details 2. Agnes McDonald died 21/04/1940. Last address 16 Belsay Place, Newcastle
She was Roman Catholic.

There is one other record that could possibly be helpful but I'm not sure if it will be held at Tyne and Wear archives. I have the wedding certificate for my Gran and Granddad in Gateshead but I wondered if the church details would have more information.
The wedding was at St. Joseph's RC Gateshead on 14th May 1917 between Richard Bernard Dowling and Agnes Alice McDonald.

I know this is a big ask but I would be very grateful for any information forthcoming as I won't get a chance to come up to Newcastle anytime soon.

Pet50ite

cowan, sinnott, duffy, addi, conlon, halpin, (dublin) dowling, mcdonald, donnelly (dublin, newcastle upon tyne and tyrone)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request - Tyne and Wear archives please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 12:14 BST (UK) »
If you have the wedding certificate this is a certified true copy of the certificate held by the church, there should be no other information.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan,

Ok thanks for that info. It was just a shot in the dark that there might be witnesses addresses or mother's names. Rare I know, but I've been lucky enough to have that happen on two of my Irish ancestor's church wedding details.

Pet50ite
cowan, sinnott, duffy, addi, conlon, halpin, (dublin) dowling, mcdonald, donnelly (dublin, newcastle upon tyne and tyrone)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

It might be worth checking out the Church register for the marriage. Looking at some Liverpool Catholic marriages for 1917 there are addresses for the witnesses. I don't know Latin but I am guessing Praesentibus Testibus is a way of saying Witnessed in our presence.

Andy

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,
You never know with family history. Sometimes you get some nice surprises :)
Pet50ite

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 17:31 BST (UK) »
If you have the wedding certificate this is a certified true copy of the certificate held by the church, there should be no other information

This is not the case for the Roman Catholic Church registers I have seen. The ones I have gone through on film do not use the standard civil registration form for the actual church register, though they will obviously also have had to fill out the civil registration form. I make sure I have copies of both versions for my family members as they capture different information.

The information that is captured on the RC forms varies between priests but the mother's name is given in the examples I have. I have seen registers where the bride and groom are said to be the daughter/son of x and y , county of blah in Ireland. I wasn't so lucky for my own family but I agree with Andy, it is absolutely worth checking the films of the original registers. And yes, some give addresses for witnesses.  I haven't seen occupations given on the R C forms but that will be on the civil registration form that you already have.

If you do not live locally you can order films of the church registers to view at the nearest LDS family history centre - see www.familysearch.org

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 18:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your input.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 23:54 BST (UK) »

There is one other record that could possibly be helpful but I'm not sure if it will be held at Tyne and Wear archives. I have the wedding certificate for my Gran and Granddad in Gateshead but I wondered if the church details would have more information.
The wedding was at St. Joseph's RC Gateshead on 14th May 1917 between Richard Bernard Dowling and Agnes Alice McDonald.

Can't help with the lookup, sorry but TWAS do have St Joseph's marriage registers for 1917.

Its a shame they didn't marry a month earlier as I have a copy from microfilm for a G Aunt's wedding on 16 April 1917 and there are 4 on the page. 

No mothers' names mentioned on any of the marriages, just the fathers' names.
2 out of 4 have street addresses for the bride and groom the other 2 just have  place names  (e.g. Gateshead, Sheriff Hill) Only one gave the street address for witnesses. Interestingly, the two with just place names were married by Fr McDermott, and the ones where street addresses were recorded were married by Fr Kennedy.

I only have these four to judge by for 1917, no idea if they were consistent in how they recorded the abode on other pages, but I do have a single entry from the 1919 marriage register. Priest was Fr Kennedy and full addresses recorded for bride, groom and both witnesses.

Boo

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 September 15 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

Yes, it's a shame they didn't get married a month earlier ;D I think I'm going to have to plan an extended visit to Newcastle next year and get to the archives. Thanks for the info you gave on what's included on the four marriages you've seen. On the marriage cert, where it says married by me, the name is Patrick A. O'Sullivan, so it doesn't appear to be either of the priests you mentioned. That could mean good or bad news.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Pet50ite