Author Topic: A tale of two Reeves, and a contradiction  (Read 3885 times)

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A tale of two Reeves, and a contradiction
« on: Tuesday 01 September 15 11:15 BST (UK) »
Short version; "George Reeve" names a "John Reeve" in his will of 1832, calling him brother, but I think they're from different families.

Long version:

I have the will of a George Reeve, taken from Norfolk Sources

Highlights from the will, genealogically speaking:

George Reeve of Kenninghall, Farmer

Three Executors:
my Brother John Reeve of Snetterton, farmer
Son in Law Robert Bensley + his wife, my daughter Harriet of Eaton

my wife Margaret Reeve

until my Son Stephen...

My three sons, John, James Stephen

My Son David

Now, George was buried in 1832, aged 59 (Burial Register), so his DOB is about 1832-59=1773.

Looking about using FreeReg, we end find George Reeve, baptised 8 July 1772, son of John and Mary Reeve (Parish Register, top left).

John Reeve of Snetterton was quite an important figure in the area, and is well supported by references in newspapers of the time, as well as the more usual BMD info. He moved to Snetterton from Kenninghall in 1828, as shown by newspaper references for Game Certificates and Horse Theft association. His baptism is (again) easy to find using FreeReg, and here is the Parish Register (middle of right hand page), baptised 2 Feb 1772, son of James and Elizabeth Reeve.

So - the DOBs are rather close together, and to different parents. George and John are not brothers.

So why does George say they are?

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A tale of two Reeves, and a contradiction
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 11:27 BST (UK) »
Does John Reeve of Snetterton leave a Will? If so, does he mention any brother?

Do John and Mary Reeve (presumed parents of George) or James and Elizabeth Reeve (presumed parents of James) leave Wills, mentioning their children and if so do either mention both a John and a George as sons?

If all these fail to show siblings called John and George, then I think there is a stronger case to say they don't appear to be brothers.
Otherwise it could be that George's brother John, mentioned in the Will, is not the prominent figure who is well documented, but another John Reeve who just tootles along in life and has no particular surviving documents about him that have made their way on to a website!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 11:34 BST (UK) »
Does John Reeve of Snetterton leave a Will? If so, does he mention any brother?

Do John and Mary Reeve (presumed parents of George) or James and Elizabeth Reeve (presumed parents of James) leave Wills, mentioning their children and if so do either mention both a John and a George as sons?

If all these fail to show siblings called John and George, then I think there is a stronger case to say they don't appear to be brothers.
Otherwise it could be that George's brother John, mentioned in the Will, is not the prominent figure who is well documented, but another John Reeve who just tootles along in life and has no particular surviving documents about him that have made their way on to a website!

I haven't chased all the wills yet; I have a will for James Reeve, (d 1820) that names John Reeve as Executor; no other male heirs or benefactors are mentioned.

Annoyingly, John Reeve, (father of bap1772 George Reeve), died in 1795, and Norfolk wills are from 1800-1850, so I just miss out on that option.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
John Reeve of Snetterton died in 1840. On FindMyPast there is an index of wills and the executor is Ann Reeve + others, no further information but Ann might be his widow.
There is a marriage in Kenninghall of a John Reeve and an Ann Reeve on 9 July 1794. This might be the same John. They are bachelor and spinster. Could Ann Reeve be a distant cousin and sister of george Reeve? If so John and George would be brothers in law.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
John Reeve of Snetterton died in 1840. On FindMyPast there is an index of wills and the executor is Ann Reeve + others, no further information but Ann might be his widow.
There is a marriage in Kenninghall of a John Reeve and an Ann Reeve on 9 July 1794. This might be the same John. They are bachelor and spinster. Could Ann Reeve be a distant cousin and sister of george Reeve? If so John and George would be brothers in law.

I'm an idiot. My research in this area STARTED with the Ann Reeve/John Reeve marriage, since they're my direct ancestors. I have yet to prove they're cousins (it's very likely...) but Ann is most certainly George's Sister, and John Reeve is indeed George's "Brother in Law". But we also know that in this period jargon was different, and calling your "Brother In Law" plain "Brother" was common.

Thank you for getting me to re-look at my own data!

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
Brilliant result.

Often it is the obvious that eludes us!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 12:24 BST (UK) »
Glad to help!

The Ann Reeve bapt Kenninghall 12 Dec 1773 d/o John and Mary (same parents as George) is right age to be the Ann Reeve (widow retired farmer) in Kenninghall with two servants in 1851 (who could be John's widow).

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 12:33 BST (UK) »
Could be marriage of George's parents.

John Reeve (bac) of Kenninghall married Mary Phillips (sp)  otp at Banham Norfolk on 12 Oct 1858 by licence.

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 April 16 13:19 BST (UK) »
Could be marriage of George's parents.

John Reeve (bac) of Kenninghall married Mary Phillips (sp)  otp at Banham Norfolk on 12 Oct 1858 by licence.

(cough) 1758.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk