Author Topic: Registering with Ancestry.co.uk  (Read 1623 times)

Offline HenningWalker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Registering with Ancestry.co.uk
« on: Tuesday 01 September 15 22:13 BST (UK) »
I currently have the annual membership for findmypast, but there are a few collections on Ancestry which I would also like to explore. Naturally, I would rather not part with another £100+ on membership to what is a very similar site, however I have noticed that there is an option to sign up for one month premium membership for only £13.99. I would be far happier signing up for this, but how can I be sure that they are not suddenly going to tie me in to a contract which obligates me to part with a string of payments?

Before I signed up for findmypast, I took advantage of the £1 for month trial and was able to cancel it until I was ready to set up my own annual membership - is there a similar thing with ancestry and does it definitely stop any other payments going out after the initial £13.99?

I noticed that they add a disclaimer on ancestry which says: "membership will be renewed automatically at the standard rate each term unless I cancel it (or am notified otherwise)." but I am curious to know what the or am notified otherwise might entail...

Perhaps I am just being disproportionally apprehensive about this, however I would like to know for definite that I can register for one month only without incurring further costs.

Thanks in advance!

Henning Walker

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Registering with Ancestry.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 23:01 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if you have checked whether your local public library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition? This would give you access to the records and images.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Firstly can I say that if your local library is like my one you can never get the use of a computer at the time you want it - but its always worth a try.

Regarding Ancestry - I have been a member since January 2014 on a monthly payment basis - now £13.99 per month charged to my credit card account. If you sign up and then want to cancel after a month or so just click on your name in top right hand corner drop down to "my account" and on the right hand side there is an option to cancel. When I first signed up I phoned them on 0800 404 9723 and they were very helpful and my options were explained to me by a person rather than doing it online. They asked for a bank account to take the payment from gave me an account number. If I ever wanted to cancel they said just to phone them or do it online.

Also, if you do decide to cancel you have the option and safeguard of informing your bank not to make any more payments to Ancestry.

Hope this is useful to you.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 23:37 BST (UK) »
If you do decide to cancel, be sure to do it in plenty of time before your month is up -- it takes several days for them to process the cancellation
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all