Author Topic: William Scarborough, born around 1560, died 1614  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Nick Vogel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Scarborough, born around 1560, died 1614
« on: Wednesday 02 September 15 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. One of my ancestors was named William Scarborough. He was born in around 1560 and died in 1614 in Woburn, Buckinghamshire. Not sure where he was born. I know the city of Scarborough is in northern Yorkshire which is why I posted my question here. I'm looking for an old forum post I found a while ago where someone had said they had found evidence that William was born in Yorkshire.  The post was made in like 2002 though (not on this forum), and the person had no email address posted so there was no way for me to follow up on it. A lady named Marilyn Winton went to Woburn looking for information on the Scarborough family and while she found the marriage record for William Scarborough and his wife Agnes Farrar, and the baptism records for their children, she couldn't find any other Scarboroughs or Farrars or a baptism record for William or Agnes. Maybe they were just from another town nearby but like I said I know there's the city of Scarborough in the north that maybe the name has to do with and I was wondering if anyone knows  anything about a Scarborough family from that region that might expand on what that person posted years ago about William being from Yorkshire.

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Scarborough, born around 1560, died 1614
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 04:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Could the post you are referring to be on geni.com, if you search for William Isaac Scarborough the result has a follow up posting which mentions Marilyn Winton.

Kev.
Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 14:07 BST (UK) »
I've noticed the surname Scarborough in the parish of Kildwick (West Riding of Yorkshire - between Keighley and Skipton), if that's any help. Also, my impression is that Farrar (with variants Farrer, Farrah etc) is mainly a West Riding surname, though I'm not able to verify this at present.

As far as I know I'm not connected to any of these families myself, but it might give you somewhere to look. For Kildwick, the Wharfegen website is an excellent resource - http://www.wharfegen.org.uk/

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick Vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 September 15 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi guys, thank you for your help, I plan on checking those out soon. In the middle of a move right now but will save the links for later.