Author Topic: U.K. Uniform ID.  (Read 3584 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: U.K. Uniform ID.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 15:01 BST (UK) »
The "trench coat"  that the young boy is wearing looks remarkably well made and authentic.
I wonder if the trench coat was re-modelled from an adults coat when the war was over by a professional tail or?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

That uniform was still in use up to 1938 for regulars. So it's possible it is post WW1, 1922 say, so he would be 24.

The boy could then be his son, wearing a smart overcoat and dads hat. The cap badge is Royal Engineers, shoulder titles say RE.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Earlsdau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 September 15 02:30 BST (UK) »
ScouseBoy and John915, thank you both for very useful information.

What you say makes quite some sense John915. He may have remained in the regular army as he was from a military minded family having been living in Woolwhich R.A. when his father died prematurely in 1899, aged 34.

So 1922 or thereabouts would tick a few boxes.

Again many thanks.

Earlsdau

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 September 15 02:44 BST (UK) »
John, I did wonder if the lad was wearing an adult's hat, but then I thought it seemed to fit him too well?  :-\

All I know about this is what I've read on the internet, but I thought if a soldier had served abroad then he would have chevrons on his right sleeve? Knowing that many clues were given in photos, as this man's right sleeve is not shown, and appears to be intentionally 'hidden', would this imply that he did not serve abroad?  :-\

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 September 15 06:44 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

I did wonder about that Ruskie but as it is in a studio then the photographer may have pinched it in a little with a clip. Those hats were quite soft and it.s also sitting on the back of his head which would prevent it falling over his eyes.

It's the lack of medal ribbons that makes me unsure as he should have served from about 1916/17. Unless for some reason he never went abroad. Or maybe never applied for his medals straight away, some never did.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 September 15 10:39 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

I did wonder about that Ruskie but as it is in a studio then the photographer may have pinched it in a little with a clip. Those hats were quite soft and it.s also sitting on the back of his head which would prevent it falling over his eyes.

It's the lack of medal ribbons that makes me unsure as he should have served from about 1916/17. Unless for some reason he never went abroad. Or maybe never applied for his medals straight away, some never did.

John915
  Good points.    Although,   even though he may not have actually claimed the metal medals, he could still have worn the ribbon. 
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 September 15 11:12 BST (UK) »
Nice shout on the cap badge John915, I've been playing with that picture for hours and couldn't make it out, and certainly not the shoulder titles.
A good point about the cap being pinched at the back as well.

Regards
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 September 15 14:32 BST (UK) »
I didn't think of the hat being pulled in to fit the child. The hat looks quite distinctive.

Offline Earlsdau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 September 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
Ok, is some of this discussion re. chevrons on right sleeve and medal ribbons etc. particularly relevant because we have been discussing the possibility of a later date like 1922 rather than earlier, like 1917??? In other words if the date was earlier, although it wouldn't address the issue of who the little boy was, would this explain why there were no chevrons etc?

I have a photo of his brother born 1893. Again I do not know what year it was taken. With my unskilled eye I cannot tell whether there are chevrons on the right sleeve of this uniform either. There are certainly no war service medals apparent.

Could these photos have been taken when they first joined up?