Author Topic: Martha Ann Lloyd shore street  (Read 1241 times)

Offline bisjam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha Ann Lloyd shore street
« on: Wednesday 02 September 15 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi my great great grandmother Martha Ann Lloyd lived at 32 shore Street at the time of her marriage to John Reid on 12th January 1888. At St. Paul's parish church. Am wondering where exactly Shore street is. I am imagining it is about the Shore Road somewhere. Martha was originally from Walton in the Hill in Liverpool and I am still intrigued as to how she came to Belfast. Am also still trying to find a birth certificate for her daughter Florida Lloyd who is down as as Reid on the Census of 1901 and 1911 as John brought her up as his own. She was born on 29 October 1885 but I am not sure if Martha was still in England or had moved over her by that stage. Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Ann Lloyd shore street
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 10:06 BST (UK) »
Lots of discussion about the Reid/Lloyd marriage, Florida's birth, etc. on your earlier topic-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=587017.0

1890- SHORE STREET off York Road some small houses
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/scomplete1890.htm

1900- Shore Street- Milewater Street to North Derby Street (households listed)
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/scomplete1901.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 10:11 BST (UK) »
Only mention of a Florida Lloyd I'm seeing in Irish indexes is a marriage in Belfast in 1912. already mentioned on other thread

No obvious birth entry. Neither is there an obvious birth entry in England in FreeBMD indexes. There was a female Lloyd born in Belfast area in 1883, but no forename noted on index I am using.

*The 1883 birth seems to have had a mother's maiden name of Purdon, so can be ruled out.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline bisjam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 August 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all I have discovered that Florida Lloyd was born in the. Belfast workhouse . Her mother is listed just as Annie Lloyd and no father is listed . As Martha Ann was from Liverpool I am still intrigued as to how she ended up in Belfast . Are there any records of the Belfast workhouse anywhere . Am
Going to assume that John reid who married Martha Ann several years later isn't the father and raised Florida as his own child .

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 August 17 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all I have discovered that Florida Lloyd was born in the. Belfast workhouse . Her mother is listed just as Annie Lloyd and no father is listed . As Martha Ann was from Liverpool I am still intrigued as to how she ended up in Belfast . Are there any records of the Belfast workhouse anywhere . Am
Going to assume that John reid who married Martha Ann several years later isn't the father and raised Florida as his own child .

Belfast workhouse records are in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. They are not on-line and a personal visit is required to view them there.

I can't really answer your question as to why Martha Ann came to Belfast with any certainty, and I doubt anyone can. However Harland & Wolff the ship-builders had yards in Glasgow, Liverpool & Belfast. They moved their skilled staff around according to business needs. So if you look at the 1901 & 1911 censuses for Belfast you'll find carpenters from Glasgow, and welders from Liverpool etc working there. So perhaps Martha Ann formed a relationship with someone working in Liverpool who moved to Belfast for work reasons. And she followed him there. Just a suggestion.
Elwyn