Author Topic: Seeking Beggs Crawford Lineages, Ballycor  (Read 6448 times)

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking Beggs Crawford Lineages, Ballycor
« on: Wednesday 02 September 15 22:14 BST (UK) »
 Greetings to all, this is my first post.

Some time ago, in a reply to a post by Peggy, someone referenced the marriage of David Beggs and Sarah Crawford, residing in Balyalbana, Ballycor. I can find no further follow-up on any threads. This couple are my great grandparents. I have my lineage to them established and some information on their their seven children.

According to the Register of Marriages David and Sarah were wed the 12th of June, 1874 in Raloo Presbyterian Church. He was Full Age and she was 19. They both resided in the Ballyalbana (so spelt) townland at the time of marriage. Their fathers were respectively: James Beggs, labourer and Samuel Crawford, farmer, likely resident in Ballyalbana too. The witnesses present were Sanderson Bamford and Eliza Bamford, likely friends and/or relatives of the families.

What I would like to be able to do is trace out the lineages of James and Samuel. Who were their spouses, parents, siblings, etc.? Indeed I'd like to see if I can link any of them into any existing family trees, or at least find out additional information that with help me trace my lineage further back.

Thank you for your interest and any contribution that you can make.

Bill

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Beggs Crawford Lineages, Ballycor
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 September 15 09:54 BST (UK) »
Where have you searched so far?

Since marriages usually take place in the bride's church (which may or may not be the groom's church) then Raloo Presbyterian Church records is probably the best place to start looking for the Crawfords (and Beggs family).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 September 15 16:51 BST (UK) »
I think David and Sarah are living in Carntall, Ballylinney in 1901 with 5 daughters, oldest being Maggie, age 21, so born abt. 1880. Looks like there may be older children, as marriage was 1874. They are in Mossbeg Town in 1911.
I found the birth of Maggie as Margaret McCauley Beggs on Jan 24, 1880 in Ballycor. Margaret McCauley is probably either the mother or grandmother of one of the parents.
Annie is born June 14, 1874 in Ballynure, Antrim, 2 days after marriage if correct dates.
James is born 27 Mar 1877 in Ballycor.
Interesting that wedding witnesses were Sanderson Bamford and Eliza Bamford.
I found a John Banford Beggs born in Liverpool, England on Oct 8, 1860 to David Beggs and Sarah, which must be a different couple but noticed the middle name. Maybe a connection somehow.
There is a Samuel Crawford who died in Ballyeaston Nov 10, 1874 and one of the witnesses to the will was Thomas Beggs, However, Samuel doesn't mention a daughter Sarah so may not be correct Samuel.
Oh I just found this on Proni - Probate of the Will of Samuel Crawford late of Torreagh, Raloo, Co. Antrim, Farmer, who died 1 May 1920 granted at Belfast 28 May 1920 to Matthew Crawford and David Criag, Farmers. Effects: £240 0s 0d. No images online.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 15 18:45 BST (UK) »
Samuel Crawford who died May 1, 1920 in Raloo cannot be the correct Samuel as he was born abt 1847 and Sarah was born 1855 ish.

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 15 22:27 BST (UK) »
 Thank you Aghadowey for the reply and set me back on track. I first identified these ancestors on Family Search and some accessible private trees back in about 2006, when official records were much harder to come by. I more recently (2012) accessed their marriage details in both Emerald Ancestors and The Ulster Historical Foundation's paid for services. I was pleased to not only have their marriage and date confirmed, but also to the locality, father's names and witnesses provided. What disappointed me however was that the parental lineages I had identified for David and Sarah from other peoples trees appeared invalid. And I have been unable to identify the correct parents etc. Eventually discouraged, I'm afraid I have left this branch unattended for some time.

Your suggestion to look to the church records of the church they were married in, and assume it was likely the bride's family church has set me back on that track again, and I find current church websites more promising in regards to making records available. For instance I've just found that one church of interest to me, First Donegore, has a DVD for sale that has It's Baptism and Marriage documents photographed, over 7000 of them. Here's the link: http://www.firstdonegore.org/records.html. So your suggestion has got me revisiting my other Antrim lineages too.

So again, thank you very much for your help and encouragement.

Bill

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 September 15 23:20 BST (UK) »
 Thank you Peggy for your information-rich reply. Let me share with you where it takes me. Your First points are of information I already had and was using. You said:

I think David and Sarah are living in Carntall, Ballylinney in 1901 with 5 daughters, oldest being Maggie, age 21, so born abt. 1880. Looks like there may be older children, as marriage was 1874. They are in Mossbeg Town in 1911.
I found the birth of Maggie as Margaret McCauley Beggs on Jan 24, 1880 in Ballycor. Margaret McCauley is probably either the mother or grandmother of one of the parents.

Yes, there were two older children, Annie and James (named after grandfather?) Annie was born shortly after the wedding in 1874, James was born in 1877.
 Now it gets even more interesting. You said: There is a Samuel Crawford who died in Ballyeaston Nov 10, 1874 and one of the witnesses to the will was Thomas Beggs,

Both James Beggs (1877) and Margaret McAuley Beggs (1880) were born in the Civil Parish of Ballycor (possibly Ballycor Townland), while Annie Beggs (1874) was born in the Civil Parish of Ballynure, the Parish adjacent to the Parish of Ballycor (on the south of it). Moreover, both the bride and groom and their fathers were resident in the Townland of Ballyalbanagh in the Parish Ballycor at the time of the marriage. So this Samuel Crawford appears to have lived, farmed, in the Townland of Ballyeaston in the Parish of Ballycor. I'd say we have he right Crawford and Beggs fathers here. Witness Thomas Beggs likely is a relative to follow up.

Your comment and insight here regarding the Bamfords are possible a real breakthrough for me to follow up. You said:
 Interesting that wedding witnesses were Sanderson Bamford and Eliza Bamford.
I found a John Banford Beggs born in Liverpool, England on Oct 8, 1860 to David Beggs and Sarah, which must be a different couple but noticed the middle name. Maybe a connection somehow.

My father told me that when he was a young child, he and his parents went and stayed with relatives in Liverpool during the First WW. He never told me who the relatives were but apparently his grandmother went with them. His grandmother was Sarah (Crawford) Beggs, widow of David Beggs, who died in 1916. My surmise is they went not long after David's death. Since my father's father was overseas throughout the war, both mother and daughter must have been much on their own at that time, and went to stay with (close) relatives who could accommodate them.

Thanks for so much food for thought and follow up.

Willim

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 September 15 00:29 BST (UK) »
I have found that John Bamford Beggs (here it is spelled Bamford) was born 10 September 1858 but    
christening was   8 October 1860   SAINT PETER, LIVERPOOL, LANCASHIRE, ENGLAND   
father:   David Beggs
mother:   Sarah (wonder if she is Sarah Bamford but might be Handley). there is a David Beggs to Sarah Handley marriage June 1, 1852 in Walton on the Hill, Lancashire. David's father David and Sarah's father William Handley. Sarah may have died first quarter 1872 if following correct Sarah.
I think it is the family living in Toxeth Park in 1871 with parents David (shipwright) (age 50) and Sarah, and siblings William, Ann I., David and Joseph.  Son David is 5 so born 1866ish. 
I find the siblings John, David and Joseph living together in 1881 in Toxteth. I think Joseph may be Joseph Youd Beggs born 1869. 
It may be John living in Toxteth Park, Lancashire, England in 1901, age 42. He was CORPORATION ASHMAN, whatever that is. He has wife Mary and son Robert, all born Liverpool.
There seems to be a John Beggs born 1853, Liverpool, parents David and Sarah. Whether it was an older sibling who died or a different couple I can't be sure as yet.  There is also a Sarah born 1862 but wonder if that is the same person as Ann on the 1871.
Peggy

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 September 15 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found five to David and Sarah's Children baptised in First Ballyeaston Presbyterian Church.

Contact me through the Church website and I will give you what info I have. Info at firstballyeaston dot org

John
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 September 15 16:49 BST (UK) »
He was CORPORATION ASHMAN, whatever that is.

Most likely a refuse collector/street sweeper.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .